Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am taking my first stab at REW for placing my two MFW-15 subs in my dedicated home theater. I think I have REW set properly. I have the RS 33-2055 meter connected to my laptop via the u-control external sound card. I am then going straight to my subs (no avr) for placement. So far I have tried (first graph) co-locating them in a corner and (second graph) separating them up front by my mains. Here are the two graphs. What suggestions do you have on which placement to go/tweak with? Also, I have a BFD which I haven't put in line yet. Which placement do you think the BFD will help the most? I'm sure I have made errors in this post, so let me know if I can change graph displays or take different measurements, etc.

Thanks for your help and this great resource.

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
There's not an enormous difference between the graphs. They both appear well behaved with some peaking around 35Hz that can be brought down a bit.

It's a better idea to feed the AVR (without mains on) and use the crossover you intend to use to get a better picture. Then add the mains to see how they integrate around the crossover.

brucek

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruce, Thanks for the quick reply.

Should I be concerned with the dips around 50hz? If so, what are my options on dips? Further placement experiment or bass traps? Or are the dips not too bad.

I will take more measurements with my AVR. A quick question on that process. Do I input just one channel into the avr? Also, when I want to check with mains, do I set to "all channels"?

Thanks again.

Todd

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Should I be concerned with the dips around 50hz?
Well, I see it more as a peak below 50Hz than a dip. If the target was raised to 75dB for the 50Hz+ bandwidth, then the lower section is a peak.

Do I input just one channel into the avr?
Most people feed a Y-splitter into the left and right channel. This allows you to test both mains when it's time...

when I want to check with mains, do I set to "all channels"?
Use "Stereo" mode for all REW testing. When you don't want the mains, simply disconnect them (with the power off).

brucek

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I see it more as a peak below 50Hz than a dip. If the target was raised to 75dB for the 50Hz+ bandwidth, then the lower section is a peak.
So it is possible I can use the BFD to lower the peaks below 50Hz? You don't think the peaks are too extreme? I would like to keep them co-located as it works better for decor, if nothing else. I will get a Y-splitter and re-test.

Thanks again, this is a super useful forum. I can't wait to dip into my BFD and smooth this curve out.

Todd

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So it is possible I can use the BFD to lower the peaks below 50Hz?
Absolutely....... no problem...

I would like to keep them co-located as it works better for decor, if nothing else.
Co-locating is the easiest method of using two subs. Few people are lucky enough to enjoy a non co-located second sub reinforcing the first at exactly the desired frequencies of dips and peaks. Co-locating basically creates a more powerful single sub...

brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts