Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new forum member, just finished a diy corner box for fronts and center in a secondary room so now I have the bug :) (man, building boxes is a blast!)

In our theater room I'm looking to build a pair of subs. After digging around this site I'm under the impression that there are a bunch of tried and true solutions out there using various easy to find sub woofers and plate amps. (basically looking to borrow a recipe, preferribly a box style vs. a tube)

Theater room is 18ft wide x 26ft deep x 8ft tall, full accoustic tile through the ceiling, thick heavy carpet and window treatments.

I was thinking a pair more for symetry then any other reason.
From a budget perspective I would like to be under $450 for the driver / amp per sub ($900 total for the pair of subs).

If I need less then that spectacular, if i need more then please let me know.
Oh, and I'm currently running a JBL powered 12" sub and its doing a fine job. I would prefer if it was cleaner and will more punch, but in general i'm happy with it.

So, if anyone has a solution that would work for me please point me in that direction.
Any input much appreciated,
Thanks
Jeff

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
From a budget perspective I would like to be under $450 for the driver / amp per sub ($900 total for the pair of subs). If I need less then that spectacular....
The best value would be with a pair if Mach 5 Audio IXL-18's each in 12.5 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz. That would cost $530 shipped for the pair. For an amp, the Behringer EP2500 would power them both. That can be found for $300 plus shipping. That would keep you within your $900 budget. Have a look in the "Database", look at the designs that have been done, and see if any interest you.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/9265-members-diy-subwoofer-database.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts