Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be wiring up a small home theater system and would like to run a few things by the forum. First off I want to have the ability of watching/listening to TV without the receiver and surround sound, essentially what I have today. And secondly I want to have the ability of watching TV/Movies with 5.1 surround side. Here is what I think I will need to do that, please let me know if there's anything wrong
with this. Thanks

I will have 4 components, TV, receiver, cable-box, and DVD

DVD: component video to TV
Digital Audio to Receiver

Cable: HDMI (Video/Audio) to TV (this will allow me to watch TV without receiver/surround-sound). And
it will supply video for 5.1 surround sound.

Fiber Optic Audio (have cable already) to Receiver

Receiver: Video out to TV (for on screen receiver calibration menu)

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

...I want to have the ability of watching/listening to TV without the receiver and surround sound ...I want to have the ability of watching TV/Movies with 5.1 surround side. Here is what I think I will need to do that, ...

I will have 4 components, TV, receiver, cable-box, and DVD

DVD: component video to TV (Add a regular cable for audio to TV, just in case :bigsmile:)
Digital Audio to Receiver

Cable: HDMI (Video/Audio) to TV (this will allow me to watch TV without receiver/surround-sound). And
it will supply video for 5.1 surround sound.

Fiber Optic Audio (have cable already) to Receiver

Receiver: Video out to TV (for on screen receiver calibration menu)
That's the way I have everything hooked on my HT ... all video sources directly to TV (and audio too), and then all audio signals to receiver (AVR) :T

Don't forget a set of audio cables (red and white) from DVD to TV ... just in case that you don't want to use the receiver :yes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirming my connections. Good idea about the dvd audio connections, I'll be sure to do that. Can't wait to set this up, any suggestions on good movie scenes that will show off the HT bass and surround speakers?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
... any suggestions on good movie scenes that will show off the HT bass and surround speakers?
For bass ... look at this list on SVS subs question # 9... you can also look for a thread here, is called "list of movies with bass" :bigsmile:

What speakers/receiver are you using???

Remember to calibrate the system to get the best out ... if your receiver hast the autocalibration feature, you can start with that; then double check that everything is set up properly (distance, speaker set up as small, crossover to sub 80Hz (this will depend on the speakers you're using), etc.) ... then have fun.

My favorites movies to show the system are Transformers, U-571, War of the Worlds, Master and Commander for bass effects ... then Star Wars (the pot race), Jurassic Park, The incredibles for some surround and bass effects :yes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like the Mortal Kombat Intro song to crank, it has great bass when the Mortal Kombat name appears.

Also, The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions have some cool scenes for bass.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy, key battles hold key bass moments with the tributes and catapult scenes have great bass depth as well as clarity.

I also liked the first scene to Star Wars Episode 3, the space battle it had great action sequences as well as deep bass effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts