Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this might sound ridiculous, but has anybody ever tried to put a piece of thin plexiglass/Lexan over their painted surface?..I'm using a painted screen and just wonder what it would look like with a sheet of glass or plexi on top of it...I like the way some of the old crt tv's look with the glass front and just wondering if I could create the same effect??
I was thinking of making a track on the wall for it to slide on and off easily.
Any thoughts??..Do you think it would make a horrible glare from the projector?..Loss of picture quality??
Here is what I was thinking of buying to try it..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-48...carbonate-Sheet-GE-100/202038067#.UfaSAI2cemQ

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I know this might sound ridiculous, but has anybody ever tried to put a piece of thin plexiglass/Lexan over their painted surface?..I'm using a painted screen and just wonder what it would look like with a sheet of glass or plexi on top of it...I like the way some of the old crt tv's look with the glass front and just wondering if I could create the same effect??
I was thinking of making a track on the wall for it to slide on and off easily.
Any thoughts??..Do you think it would make a horrible glare from the projector?..Loss of picture quality??
Here is what I was thinking of buying to try it..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LEXAN-48...carbonate-Sheet-GE-100/202038067#.UfaSAI2cemQ
Putting a clear sheet of glass or plastic over your painted screen would have no positive benefits at all except for some physical protection of the paint, but you would pay a very high price for that in both dollars and image quality. A glossy sheet (as you linked to) would hot spot like crazy and I would also expect to see other negative visual problems as well depending on the thickness of the plastic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, you're right...I just tried it with a piece of very thin plexiglass from a poster frame and the very minor hair line scratches show up like crazy, with the lights off :(

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I did it once with a 47" rear projection tv back in the early 90's and it just made it have more reflections from lights in the room. I would think it would be the same with your PJ screen if you watch with any ambient light in the room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts