1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I guess I should go sealed

6.03 cubes is .707 for a Maelstrom-X

I have up to 19 cubes available, all will take the same footprint

a vented enclosure with the same airspace as a sealed enclosure will have the same or less excursion, and the same or more output... so if an LLT is useless, can it still be used to "mess around" down below 30Hz for fun, and still have just as much output and more protection from bottoming?

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looking good, i really like the idea of an IXl 18 in 4.25cf tuned at 28Hz :dumbcrazy:

Remember that WinISD is almost useless for car applications due to the influence that cabin gain has on the performance :T As the box gets larger your power handling falls and for car audio it is better to have a higher power handling above 30Hz than extension bellow due to cabin gain.

For the Malestrom id probably build 5cf with 60 square inches of port tuned at 26Hz... That would be insane with 2000 watts, well into the mid 40's which is loud

I think your still designing HT boxes allmost, they need to be smaller and tuned higher, i wouldnt tune lower than 25/26 in a car bacause you gain NOTHING and give up power handling which is important. I would like to say now that in an average car for normal listening a small 10 or even 8 in a well designed box is enough, only when you want to make hair dance and rattle everyones panels at the lights do you need to consider a driver like the Malestrom... Hell something like an IXL 10 in a good box with 1000 watts will really pound in a car...

·
Banned
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Looking good, i really like the idea of an IXl 18 in 4.25cf tuned at 28Hz :dumbcrazy:

Remember that WinISD is almost useless for car applications due to the influence that cabin gain has on the performance :T As the box gets larger your power handling falls and for car audio it is better to have a higher power handling above 30Hz than extension bellow due to cabin gain.

For the Malestrom id probably build 5cf with 60 square inches of port tuned at 26Hz... That would be insane with 2000 watts, well into the mid 40's which is loud

I think your still designing HT boxes allmost, they need to be smaller and tuned higher, i wouldnt tune lower than 25/26 in a car bacause you gain NOTHING and give up power handling which is important. I would like to say now that in an average car for normal listening a small 10 or even 8 in a well designed box is enough, only when you want to make hair dance and rattle everyones panels at the lights do you need to consider a driver like the Malestrom... Hell something like an IXL 10 in a good box with 1000 watts will really pound in a car...
I just guestimate up to 12 dB/octave, only making it a little closer to what i want, cuz even then it's not as exaggerated as I want...Lower=louder. But it gives a decent idea. I agree though, I didn't want to start plotting again, because I have plotted so much in my life that I just know I want to always make my boxes as large as possible and tune as low as possible... but people on here didn't think I knew how to even model subs and all the knowledge that comes with it...so I dug up the old program and re-solidified what i already knew.

Power handling does NOT decrease, power REQUIREMENT decreases. When a given subwoofer moves a given excursion, it is the same loudness same SPL whether it is requiring 200 watts or 2000 to acheive it. Having to fight a small box volume and a tight suspension is simply waste. A loose suspension (lower Fs) and a larger box with a lower Q simply means more efficiency and smoother responce. (in general, not always)

I'm not aiming for mid-40's loud around 30Hz-40Hz. I am aiming for ULTRA LOW extention. I will be happy with 30Hz on up no matter what enclosure/alignment I go with... which is why in the pics, I used the project windows to block the graph from 30Hz up. I don't care about 30 Hz on up ;) I will have more than I want there any way :D

yes, i am building HT boxes to get closer to what i am chasing after once again in-car... been a few years since running my 3.5 cubes @ 27 Hz box and my 5.1 cubes @ 19Hz box, ran single 15's in both, many different drivers.

I agree that tuning this low gains NOTHING.... from 30Hz on up

I also agree that a single 10 or 12 should be enough... from 30Hz on up... which is why no matter what box I make for an 18" or 22", I will always have enough 30Hz on up, and never enough 30Hz on down ;)

I hate making panels and lights rattle, thats why my last car had $270 worth of expanding foam and 14 cans of bondo (huge mistake, but I learned) and 500 lbs of 3/4" MDF.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249

And $600 of sound deadener, which I ended up just selling since the project fell through when i moved back to south dakota from minnesota. 5 gallons Spectrum Sludge and 5 gallons of Firewall. This thread is 4-5 years old, i gave the car to the chick in the pic's little brother and havent seen it since

1 - 4 of 4 Posts