Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 700 liter sono subs using Fi Q18's and an EP2500. Detailed more in the Fi forum. In my fight (or quest) to get audyssey to play nice, I tried plugging the ports by wrapping beach towels tightly and stuffing them in the ports. It helped Audyssey to "play" better (that is a discussion for another thread). That said, I am curious about these results as somewhere in between the two graphs would result in a flatter response down low.

Could I benefit from higher tuning or a smaller enclosure? :scratch:

Comments or opinions appreciated.

Blue line is with the plugs in.

graph_port_block.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
If I were you, I'd be very happy with the green curve. That's an excellent response with a light house curve. Most of us use an even steeper house curve (sometimes as much as 15 db when the room's too small). Don't touch it... :wits-end:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blaster. You are right and I am very happy. I do use a steeper house curve. I probably should have shown this graph. Look at the response below 10hz. Though I am not sure how accurate the RS meter is in this area.

graph_port_stuffing5hz.jpg

I just realized I never left the plugs in after running Audyssey and turned the amp up to see about a "flat" house curve (so to speak). I will tell you that Audyssey does not like that peak at 12hz and turns the LFE way down and the plugs are a great workaround.

I know, I know, let it go....:coocoo:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I learned of doing this on here (in the REW area I believe), so the credit to fooling audyssey goes to someone else and more info can be easily found.

I didn't expect the results I got from plugging the ports and that is why I started this thread.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
All these "intelligent" EQ systems - in my opinion - should be avoided. Unless you wrote the algorithms for them, you never know what they are trying to do, why they are trying to do it, or how they are trying to do it.

If you feel strongly that your bass needs EQ, and you have tried real solutions first (moving the sub, moving your seat, adjusting sub distance in the processor), then your best bet is manual EQ with something like Behringer feedback destroyer.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hey Steve!! Long time :wave:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All these "intelligent" EQ systems - in my opinion - should be avoided. Unless you wrote the algorithms for them, you never know what they are trying to do, why they are trying to do it, or how they are trying to do it.

If you feel strongly that your bass needs EQ, and you have tried real solutions first (moving the sub, moving your seat, adjusting sub distance in the processor), then your best bet is manual EQ with something like Behringer feedback destroyer.
Thanks for the reply Steve. I value your opinion (plus you are the guilty party for my building such overkill subs :bigsmile:). The way I have my setup, moving things around is pretty much out of the question. Subs are too big and placed in the only spots available and seating is similar with my multipurpose room. As far as my "intelligent EQ", I personally enjoy what Audyssey does for me with the exception of the LFE. It seems that audyssey cannot understand or properly EQ this kind of sub. Seriously, how many "normal":coocoo: consumers have subs like this? I do have a BFD and to get everything to work together involves me "fooling" audyssey and then manually EQing the subs. This has worked well for me.

My curiousity with starting this thread was if I could benefit from different size or tuning of my current enclosure. Possibly a higher output from 15-30Hz with less of a peak below. Or a sealed enclosure which may keep the house from crumbling yet not give up the amazing "body shaking" experience. I built it on the large side and tuned it low because it is a lot easier to cut the sonotube than to lengthen.

And I know, I know, leave it alone......:whistling:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts