Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have several Polk Audio speaker systems.

Livingroom:
Front: 2 X LSi25 Cherry
SW: DSW600
Center: LSiC
SB: 2 X LSi15 Cherry
SWB; 2 x PSW505
B: LSiC

Master Bedroom:
Front: 2 X RTi8 Cherry
SW: PSW505
Center: RTi8 Cherry
SB: 2 X RTi8 Cherry
SWB: 2 X PSW505
B: CSi3 Cherry

Dining Room:
Front: 2 X Monitor 70 Black
SW: 2 X PSW10
Center: Monitor 60 Black
SB: 2 X Monitor 60 Black
B: 2 X Monitor 50 Black

Office:
Front: 2 X R50 Cherry
Center: CSR Black
SW: None
Center: 2 X R50 Cherry
SB: 2 X R50 Cherry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Long time polk owner here (but first time poster).

Still have (but do not currently use) my SDA 1-b's. Also stored away is a box of RM-6600's. (I may put them with my Monitor 10's below to run a 5.1 system in my basement)

My basement 2 channel system consists of Monitor 10 (series II's).

My bedroom system is a pair of RTi6's.

My home theater consists of:
LSi15 fronts
LSiC center
LSi7 rears
and 2 SVS subwoofers for LFE.

Michael

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll throw in my Polk speakers. They have been good to me over the years although lately, listening at volumes of -10 to -15 db reference their is audible noise like crackling, rattling, coming out of the right speaker. Any ideas?

My mains are RT3's bought when I was 18. I'm 29 now, sheesh, time for an upgrade!

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got my LSI C today and got it hooked up tonight. I don't know why people are complaining about this speaker. With it sitting between my LSI 15s it sounds great. It definitely blends with the 15s better than the center I was using.
I have all the speakers set to 'small' and crossover at 80. I lowered the volume on the center from the old speaker's setting and am getting comparable volume.
I'm a happy camper.
I meant to put this on here:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got my LSI C today and got it hooked up tonight. I don't know why people are complaining about this speaker. With it sitting between my LSI 15s it sounds great. It definitely blends with the 15s better than the center I was using.
I have all the speakers set to 'small' and crossover at 80. I lowered the volume on the center from the old speaker's setting and am getting comparable volume.
I'm a happy camper.
I think that the LSiC speakers are great. I use two, one for the center and one for the rear surround for a 6.1 system. 6.1 works well with my room geometry and I've always thought that 7.1 was overkill, especially when the speakers are expensive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently acquired a pair of Monitor 10s to replace some Paradigm Titan V3s for my front channels. The center is an Infinity C350 and I am very pleased with the blend of the three units as driven by my Sony DA3000ES. The Class D amplifiers in the 3000ES produce a wonderful midrange through the Polks but are a little light in the lowest bass. The Atlantic Technology 262 sub takes care of that problem nicely.

The Polks show that good designs pass the test of time with no loss in musicality.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gotta resurrect this thread with my contribution! :D
When I first purchase my home theater setup, I went with the Polk 6750 5.1 setup - was amazed by the difference (was previously in a HTiB from LG).
Recently, I have upgraded my left and right with Monitor 50's, which I have been VERY happy with and I just ordered the matching center CS1 - which should be in soon!!!

Been very happy with them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I'll bite! I'm a Polk owner since 1981. I started with Monitor 10b's then quicky upgraded to 12B's and 11's (yes, a short lived version of the 12 with the tweeter in the cabinet instead of in the open air array on top). I STILL have both pairs of these and have been using them up until 2002 when I built the home theater in the basment of the house I moved into.

I also have a set of monitor 4.5 bookshelf speakers that I use occasionally. All 6 of these vintage speakers are stored a spare room with a lot of other vintage equipment. They get used at least once a year for a bit Halloween haunted yard event I have.

Now for the 'good stuff. The theater (pics will be added later) consists of 2 LSI25's for main. 2 LSI9's for center (one below and above the 120" screen, tied together (mono) for the center) and 2 LSI9's for the rear. The room is 11x16 so it didn't make much sense to do 7.1.

There are two pairs of in-wall speakers (the model escapes me now but they are the 6.5" w/1" tweet models) in two rooms.

Previous to my current car (Acura TL) I've owned Mazda's since 1980, and each and every one of them had Polk speakers. My 1981 Mazda GLC Hatchback had a pair of Polk Monitor 4 bookshelf speakers in the hatch area driven by a 50x2 Alpine 3002, I believe, amplifier. Pretty 'state of the art' for mobile audio in 1983!

This kid (well, not a kid anymore) is pretty polk dedicated! It all happened when I was in high school and went to a local audio shop. I was convinced that you needed a huge honkin' woofer to get good bass. I listened to a pair of Monitor 10's being driven by a very modest HK receiver and couldn't believe my ears! How could that much 'clean' bass come from 6" drivers??? Even though I was still convinced that bigger is better for the next couple of years that memory never escaped me. Once I got a decent job I picked up my 1st pair of Polks (the 10's) and guess what, ended up with HK separates to drive them. Funny how 1 short visit makes a lasting impression!

Ok, I've talked enough and have to get back to work!

Nice meeting you guys!

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yesterday I purchased my first set of real speakers (not counting all of the junk I've owned in the past). I got a great deal of a 1 year old pair set of Polk's.

Front L/R LSi15
Center LSiC
Surround LSi7
Rear Surround: RtiA3

My room is in construction so I figured I'd join you all on HTS and figure out how to put them to use.

I also picked up a Onkyo TX-SR876 AV Receiver to drive a 7.1 system.

Two quick questions:
1. Can anyone point me to a site/post describing which position and angles are optimal for such a set-up
2. I had originally wanted to mount all of my speakers flush with the walls (and/or inside columns). However I fell in love with these speakers and had to have them. Now I am wondering if the rear ports (and bottom ports for the LSi15), require them to be mounted away from the wall. Example: The center LSiC, has two rear ports. How far away from the wall do I need to position it? If my screen wall is 20 inches from the actual front wall, and my LSiC is 8 inches deep, can I mount it flush with the screen, leaving 12 inches of space behind, and still expect a good sound?

Scott

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Welcome to HTS.

1. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

2. Rule of thumb for rear mounted ports is 18 inches minimum from the wall. You might be able to get away with 12", especially if the speaker(s) are well away from the side walls. Try it and see how it sounds.

For the rear ported wall mount speakers, I suggest plugging the ports.

·
Registered
19 Posts
SteveB said:
No specific question, mostly just comment. Unless you know where I can get a new LSI C under $400 and not have to wait until the end of April.
Hey steve, Polk direct has the lsic at $425. It is a refurb but my experience with them is their refurbs are perfect. I bought a pair of rti a3's and a csi a4, all were absolutely pristine. It's worth checking out and I believe they have a 10 day return policy. The price is shipped to the best of my knowledge. Good luck in your search - Tank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tankramer said:
Hey steve, Polk direct has the lsic at $425. It is a refurb but my experience with them is their refurbs are perfect. I bought a pair of rti a3's and a csi a4, all were absolutely pristine. It's worth checking out and I believe they have a 10 day return policy. The price is shipped to the best of my knowledge. Good luck in your search - Tank
Price is now $379 shipped

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the lsic center two lsi15's front and two lc80i's surround. Since they have been discontinued I am having a hard time finding some more lc80i or lc80fx's to put in the rear. Maybe I could go with some lsi fx or lsi 7/9's. Any input on what to get for the rears would be appreciated.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yesterday I purchased my first set of real speakers (not counting all of the junk I've owned in the past). I got a great deal of a 1 year old pair set of Polk's.

Front L/R LSi15
Center LSiC
Surround LSi7
Rear Surround: RtiA3

My room is in construction so I figured I'd join you all on HTS and figure out how to put them to use.

I also picked up a Onkyo TX-SR876 AV Receiver to drive a 7.1 system.

Two quick questions:
1. Can anyone point me to a site/post describing which position and angles are optimal for such a set-up
2. I had originally wanted to mount all of my speakers flush with the walls (and/or inside columns). However I fell in love with these speakers and had to have them. Now I am wondering if the rear ports (and bottom ports for the LSi15), require them to be mounted away from the wall. Example: The center LSiC, has two rear ports. How far away from the wall do I need to position it? If my screen wall is 20 inches from the actual front wall, and my LSiC is 8 inches deep, can I mount it flush with the screen, leaving 12 inches of space behind, and still expect a good sound?

Scott
For the LSiC it is actually designed to be mounted flush against a wall, Polk calls it a power port which is some type of diffuser that is designed to control the air moving out the back of the speaker. The air moves out the back port, hits the diffuser and is spread to the sides which allows flush mounting against a wall.
For regular rear ported speakers which fire directly out the back you do have to leave space behind them or it will change the sound of the speaker.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Big Polk fan here ... Owner of rtia3's, csia6, fxia4, rti4, rm6750, and monitor 30's.

Have to add, customer service is top notch. And it's a Baltimore based company which is cool!!!

Sweet Polk!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post here and I guess this thread is fitting. I just purchased a pair of RTi 12's and a RTi A6 center.

This was a complete impulse purchase as I always build my own. However as times change and responsibilities mount, I don't have the time to build anymore. So the combination of boxing day prices and great reviews landed me here.

Before I hooked them up to my home theater I bridged my Crown amp to see how much damage a single RTi 12 could do. Apparently it handle a solid 1000 watts without any signs if stress. Impressive for 7" drivers!

After setting them up with my home theater I was impressed with the overall sound. As the rumors say, bi-amping Polks is a must. They are perhaps the least efficient speakers I have ever used. But they can push lots of air with a big enough engine behind them. After hearing what they can do I have put my subwoofer plans on hold.

Movies are awesome and music ain't bad either :)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Welcome to HTS, Flatline.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the site just saying hey to the Polk owners... I Love my Polks I currently have a pair of SDA SRS , SDA 2b , SDA CRS , SDA CRS+ , Monitor series 5 , Monitor series 2 and, Mini Monitors.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts