Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts
Okay, then. Well, the crossover knob is all the way up, and the AVR is controlling the crossover.
Are you connected via LFE out of the receiver to the sub...the one RCA connection?

Are you connected via LFE out of the receiver to the sub...the one RCA connection?
Yes, I am. Well, I ran Audyssey again, right to the end. It took six measurements. The four Monitor 70s are now crossed over at 40 HZ and the RTi A1 surrounds are at 50 HZ, and the center CS2ii is at 40. I have lost wherever it was that I set the subwoofer crossover, but I shall find it again, and set it at 120 HZ when I find it. I am happier this time with what Audyssey did, so it must be because I let it run it's full course. It does sound better than the first time I did it. The sound is fuller. I also found my lost volume :clap: The volume selector for Absolute or Relative was on Absolute, which cut me off at a max of 90 - not real loud. Now it is on Relative (THX) and I do not wish to turn it beyond 0 db. Music is good at 32 db and I think movies will be fine at 20 db just like my NAD was. At 32 I am getting SPL meter readings in the neighborhood of 82 to 87 db from all the normals, and the sub is coming in at 78. This is on a speaker setting for music of all channel stereo. I have yet to do a bluray movie test. I am very optimistic. You guys are doing for me in less than a day what I have been working on for over a week. I have to tell you though, that manual is written in some other language than English, I'm telling you.

Hello Viking, and glad I could be of help once more...

Did that make any sense? :coocoo:
Yeah, made a lot of sense. Yes I am running same size towers in all four corners. I will try them at 60 HZ, as Audyssey put them at 40. I will probably raise the center to 80HZ instead of the 40 that Audyssey put it at, and the surrounds to 80 instead of the 50 they are at. My ears will let me know how this works for me. I still need to find that subwoofer setting and I know it is there, as I found it before. Back into the manual for that, I guess. You may get tired of hearing thank you, but I won't get tired of saying it, to all of you guys here. Osage Winter, Fokakis1 and Tonyvdb being the three I have (met?) You guys kinda scare me with your experience and knowledge. I am not used to being a know nothing, or almost nothing. As I mentioned before, I have always had audio/video equipment, and even good equipment, but I never tried to wring better out of it. It is confusing, but very satisfying when something improves.

So, Thank you again.

Okay, I found the speaker configurations and the sub was set at 80 HZ. I tried the surrounds - all of them - at 60 and back at 40 and then the four corners to 60 and the center and surrounds to 80. I put the sub to 120. That is as high as it goes, by the way. You probably knew that, but I didn't.

Results? I definitely noticed the difference in the bass from the subwoofer, but did not notice any from the other seven speakers. This is probably normal. I will have to listen to a lot more variety to decide where I want them, now that I know how to set them, and where a good starting point is. Happy, happy, happy as Phil Robertson of the Duck Dynasty would say. My NAD gave me sound that was this full, without me ever adjusting anything, lol. I thought I had given up just a tad in the audio end to get this superb video processor, but I am happy to say, I am getting both. Here it comes again.... Thank You.

PS: I am also getting a side lesson in speakers, and that is real good too. :wave:

You're doing your receiver a favor by raising those crossovers. The low frequencies eat up the majority of its power. And like you said, you can't hear a difference. I'm glad you're happy. This hobby is very rewarding.

Oh, okay...I'm running the predecessor to those, the RTi12s...:T

Why did you feel a need to upgrade the A9s?
Because my wife said I could!

We love the A9s and went out and listened to several speakers in the sub $2000 range. We never found anything that we felt outperformed the A9s overall. So she said we could raise the budget to $3000. What would you do? (I still have the A9s).

I really only recommended the 60Hz crossover to Viking if his mains were large floorstanders; from my experience and what I had been told (even by Polk themselves when I visited their Baltimore facility for a press event and spoke with technicians one on one like Eric Wong), speakers as large as the RTi12s can benefit from setting the crossover to 60Hz so the speakers can "flex some of their muscle" while at the same time pass ULTRA low frequencies off to the sub. In MY particular case, the only large speakers I'm running are the RTi12s, so these are crossed at 60 and the rest at 80...:huh:

I currently have a denon 2113 (95 watts/channel) and am wondering if either of the rti8 or rti12 towers would be able to be done justice with this receiver? This system would be in a multi-use living room of ~4500 cubic feet, but not used at reference level. In facIt, the AVR rarely exceeds -20db. Usage would be 80% TV/movies and 20% internet radio/mp3. Thanks for any help!

I currently have a denon 2113 (95 watts/channel) and am wondering if either of the rti8 or rti12 towers would be able to be done justice with this receiver? This system would be in a multi-use living room of ~4500 cubic feet, but not used at reference level. In facIt, the AVR rarely exceeds -20db. Usage would be 80% TV/movies and 20% internet radio/mp3. Thanks for any help!
Will your receiver drive your speakers ? Yes . Would your speakers benefit from external amplification ? Yes , Keep in mind that the manufacturer states 95W , 2 channel driven more speakers you had to the chain it will take more power to feed them .

But you face other problem , the Denon doesn't have pre-outs for a external amp and 4500CF is a lot of space .

Yes, I was afraid that the lack of external amplification might be a problem with the polks, I currently have 2 BIC FH6-LCRs being powered,but have a case of the "what-ifs" and am wondering if I would benefit from something else. I did forget yo mention that I do have 2SVs PB-1000 subwoofers, so music would not need to dig quite as deep as a pure 2-channel system.

Yes, I was afraid that the lack of external amplification might be a problem with the polks, I currently have 2 BIC FH6-LCRs being powered,but have a case of the "what-ifs" and am wondering if I would benefit from something else. I did forget yo mention that I do have 2SVs PB-1000 subwoofers, so music would not need to dig quite as deep as a pure 2-channel system.
Well depending what you listen just a tad of bass might suit a lot of ppl , the 12's/9's deliver a excellent amount of bass when well powered but of course this is a personal choice and there's a lot of tweaking that can be done .

On your receiver and since it's running Audyssey you can always run on stereo ( audyssey is applied with sub ) or run Direct or Pure Direct ( no DSP ) and the speakers will hold the lower frequencies . If you don't have the Polk you should audition them and preferably with external amps , take music that you like and know well and give it a spin .

I am in a similar situation as you, running an Onkyo 605 with 90 watts a channel which feeds RTi12s (and the rest of my speaker layout); take all these speaker power ratings with a grain of salt. I have NO -- absolutely NO -- issues driving my RTi12s with my Onkyo but there are a lot of factors that come into play...are you using a sub, what will your RTi8s or RTi12s be crossed over at, etc.

Acabei de comprar uma barra de som de TV Ultra-Slim Polk Sigma S2 e queria saber se é possível emparelhar outro alto-falante sem fio com ela. Ele tem o woofer sem fio, mas seria bom poder emparelhar outro alto-falante pequeno que eu possa colocar na minha cadeira. Estou ouvindo limitado e minha esposa ficaria feliz se eu não tivesse que ter o volume tão alto.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.