Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Polk Audio owners thread

50K views 114 replies 53 participants last post by  Wardog555 
#1 · (Edited)
We must have a few Polkies on the board. In the home theater I have LS90's (the old guys can still rock :jiggy: ) in the front, a CS350 center, and was using a pair of M5's for surrounds but since one bit the dust recently I am now using a pair of Paradigm Atoms I had sitting around, and a Def Tech Powerfield12 and a YamahaYST-SW150 sub. I am using a Polk RM6750 sub/sat system in the living room. Surely I am not all alone here.:yikes:

Mike

G
#3 ·
I'm a happy owner of Polk LSi 9's for the fronts, LSi C for center, and LSi-7's for the rears, which I also use for mixing as near-field monitors. When I heard the LSi-9's I exclaimed "WOW!!!" quite loudly after hearing everything else our local Tweeter had to offer, and totally startled the salesman, who had never heard a customer reaction as strong as that!

Terry
(that's me wearing my Ultrasone Proline 750's while at the computer!)

#10 ·
I'm also a polkaudio forum member. Though I no longer own Polks, I used to have the LSi9 and LSi15. The LSi9s were super bookshelves in their category - I really liked them a lot! The LSi15, I never quite got dialed in. I bought them because the concensus is typically that they're the best in the line - however I always much preferred what I heard from the LSi25 in showrooms. The LSi25 were actually my first speaker "WOW" experience. I preferred them to the more expensive ($3.5K) Martin Logans. Should've gone with my ears. I think if I had, I'd have stuck with them a lot longer before upgradeitis kicked in.

#13 ·
Thanks Mike. I am an active member over at the Polk Forum (Midnite Mick) and am curious to here some of the older Polk's. Would like to know the what the old SDA's sound like. I have a feeling they would be right in my wheelhouse in regards to my preferences. I love a big 3 dimensional sound and if they sound open as well........well :drool: .

Mike

#16 ·
Those LSi9 are amazing I remember hearing them for the first time at HE2002 and was really taken back by them. You gonna do 7.1 with LSiC + 4 LSi9 For LR/Sides LR, and the LSi7s as Surround backs? Man thats a **** of a rig. What Sub you gonna use?

I can post on my dad's behalf he has RT1000i and a CS245i with Radioshack In walls and Velodyne CHT-12 and Yamaha YST-SW305

~Bobby

#17 ·
Those LSi9 are amazing I remember hearing them for the first time at HE2002 and was really taken back by them. You gonna do 7.1 with LSiC + 4 LSi9 For LR/Sides LR, and the LSi7s as Surround backs? Man thats a **** of a rig. What Sub you gonna use?

~Bobby
I think I'm only going to go with a 5.1 system. The room is real small. 12x11. I purchased 2-LSi9's, LSi7's & LSiC at the same time. I then found a deal on 2-LSi9's and purchased those too. So I'm going to use either 4-LSi9's or use the 2-LSi7's as rears.

No idea on a sub yet.

See it's a small room. Still have to purchase a couch. Seating will only be about 6' from screen.

#18 · (Edited)
:nono: You best use the four LSi9's and LSiC cause if you don't I will have Sonnie release lawn gnomes to attack you, you know them southern gnomes are mean.

Nah all kidding aside that would be best timbre matching and eaier to find an amp cause all speaker will require same power.

PS: My new fav recommendation for a sub that hit it low and takes up little space is a DIY one using

Soundsplinter RP-L18 D2
Elemental Design E1300 1300w RMS Plate
Parts Express 3cu^ft Enclosure
$895+/- (depending on shipping you chose)

Unibox shows 107dB at 20hz and about 95-97dB at 10hz and there is alot of room for use with the BFD to boost the bottom end w/o hitting xmax.

~Bobby

#20 ·
I didn't know you could get that kind of response out of a sub that small! How big is the port on that thang? I've been aiming for a dual 18" Soundsplinter LLT in a 20-30 cubic foot cabinet that would double as my, what do you call it? thing the second row seats go on. I want to relieve my pair of PSW 1200's at 28 Hz, and let the Soundsplinters take it home...

#19 ·
Lessee, what do I have in the way of Polk? The trusty Subie has Polk separates up front, in the rear, and as a sub, but in the house is where I have the arsenal: Five pairs of LS50's, two pairs LS f/x, two CS350 LS, and two PSW 1200's. I'm running about half of it now, but the lot of it is waiting for the dedicated HT to be built.

#22 ·
Chris that box is 19in x 19in x 19in

Sure you can go bigger but in smaller room where is the linedrawn and when is it over powering the rest of your system. I like the idea of an IB as mucha s the next nutter on here but if its producing 120-130dB and I have speakers thet only produce 80-85dB you're talkin some serious over powering. That sub I mentioned above will prolly rock a normal sized living (eg; 16' x 12' x 7' to about 20' x 15' x 9') Any room more then that just make a second one and be happy.

You know the saying just because you can, doesn't always mean you should do something..

~Bobby

#25 · (Edited)
I just recently picked up a pair of RT3000P's and a CS1000P. In the manual it say you can run a "Line In" to the sub amp from a pre-out of your processor and a "High Level" from your processor to the mids-highs. My question is, has anyone done this (pre outs from Left and Right channels and high level for mids-tweets) and is there any benefit in sound by using this method? I have a Denon 3803 so I have the capability to do this but before buying more sub cables I wanted to see if it would be worth it. Thanks.

#28 ·
I run RT55s, CS300, RT/FX & RT25i downstairs w/ 2 SVS PC+ (7.1).

4 RT25i a CS300 and Velodyne CT100 upstairs (5.1).

I also have a pair of monitor 10s

Polk has the best CSRs anywhere!

#30 ·
Yes, yes!

I have two 5.1 home theater setups with mostly Polks!

The living-room setup consists of:
Mains: RTi100's
Center: CSi30
Rear: RTi38's
Sub: HSU STF-2
Everything is powered by an Onkyo TX-SR702 Receiver, video and music comes from a Denon DVD-2910. A Samsung 56" DLP Set (HL-P5663) completes the setup.

The bedroom setup consists of:
Mains: R30's
Center: CS245i
Rear: R15's
Sub: PSW202

Everything is driven by an old and cheesy Pioneer receiver (VSX-D509S). Video comes from a Toshiba HD-A3! which drives a 42" Olevia LCD monitor (342i).

Sorry Sony! No Blu-Ray in my immediate future!

#31 ·
I'm running SDA 1Cs, CS400i and SDA-CRS+ w/ M5jrs back surrounds on my combo rig. They need a bit of horsepower to make them sing, but are incredible music and HT speakers. I'm also a big fan of the RTAs, early Monitors and LS series. I've auditioned the RTis and the new A series, RTs and LSis...pretty much every Polk speaker I've heard has something going for it.

The difference between the big boys, 1.2s and 2.3s, vs. the medium sized 1Cs is simply scale. In most rooms, the 1Cs are every bit as good.

#32 ·
I got in on the deal at Fry's and got set of LSI 15 that are my fronts. I wish I had gone ahead and gotten a LSI C because I can't find one anywhere now. I have one on order but it's now sounding like it will be the end of April before any are available. Then when budget allows I'll get a pair of LSIF/X.

I'm glad this thread was started here. Club Polk doesn't seem to offer that much info.

#35 ·
You might get lucky on ebay or craigslist, but if you join and participate over on Club Polk, you'll find that hookups happen all the time...not necessarily when you're looking for it. It's important to participate, just like here. If you just want to score, you'll get some grief. Asking questions will get you tons of answers.:reading:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.