Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Home Theatre Shack! I recently came upon a crazy sale on Polk Audio RTIA9 speakers. I bought two. I knew about the crazy power requirement but thought I could attach a emotiva amp to help, but now I'm not so sure.(reciever is a Yamaha Rx-v579, 80w/channel) There are two preouts on the back labeled preout subwoofer. Could I use those? I checked into subwoofer preouts but I couldn't find the answer.

If it's not possible, how would they sound otherwise? Untill I have the money to upgrade the receiver I mean. I'm using them in a large basement, about 26 ft front to back, but half the basement, the wall comes in a bit so it's 20ft instead. The tv, speakers, and couch are in the 26ft section. If that makes sense...

Also, my friend bought the same speakers, along with a Onkyo TX-NR575 reciever. Would that be sufficient? Supposed to have large amount of power, but acording to the specs I read at CNET, it's 170w with a 6ohm speaker but 80w with a 8ohm speaker. The Polks are 8ohm I believe, so same power as the Yamaha then? The preouts are both subwoofer as well for the Onkyo.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the most important part of the equation is how loud do like it? Music or movies? I would always opt for the more powerful amp, especially if you don't plan on using a subwoofer.

The advantage of running a seperate subwoofer is that the amp won't have to work as hard. The heavy lifting would be handled by the sub amp. The main speakers should be crossed over (low cut,high pass) at 80hz. The will take the load off and help both the speakers and the amp to relax and produce a better sound.

A lot of people say "my speakers are full range" and feed them the full frequency AND use subwoofers at the same time. At an 80hz cross, the speakers will still be producing midbass but it will be cleaner sounding. The amp will improve also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Gdaddy. I really appreciate the crossover info. The reciever has two preouts in the back, and I would need to plug in two amps to power the speakers individually, unless I'm mistaken, which would cut out the subwoofer completey. Not by choice really, I don't see another way. But with 80hz crossover, seems I won't need it.

I listen to both music and watch alot of movies and videogames. The speakers are mostly for movies though. As for volume, I do like it at high levels if in the right mood but not all the time, I also live in a duplex, for now.

Im only dealing with 2.1 for now, due to the odd shape of my basement, but I'll be going to at 7.1 eventually, so I'll need to power those as well..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts