Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Best way to spend $1500

• OPTION 1: Pioneer SP-FS52: Pioneer SP-C22: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 1912

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • OPTION 2: Ascend CBM-170: Ascend CBM-170: Ascend HTM-200: HSU STF-2 or Klipsch RW-12d: Denon 1912

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • OPTION 3: Klipsch B-20: Klipsch C-20: Klipsch B-20: Klipsch RW-12d: Denon 1712

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • OPTION 4: Infinity Primus P163: Infinity Primus PC351: Infinity Primus P163: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 19

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • OPTION 5: HTD Level THREE: HTD Level THREE: HTD Level TWO: HSU VTF-2 MK4: Denon 1612

Votes: 3 27.3%

Poll: Best way to spend $1500

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  yoda13 
#1 ·
Mainly movie and TV use. Room is 17x17.

OPTION 1
front: Pioneer SP-FS52 (x2) $200--:
center: Pioneer SP-C22 $100----: $400 shipped
rear: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR $100 ----:
sub: HSU VTF-2 MK4 $612 shipped
receiver: Denon 1912 $313
Total = $1325

OPTION 2
front: Ascend CBM-170 ----:
center: Ascend CBM-170 --:$806 shipped
rear: Ascend HTM-200 ----:
sub: HSU STF-2 or Klipsch RW-12d $362 shipped
receiver: Denon 1912 $313 shipped
Total: $1481

OPTION 3
front: Klipsch B-20 $280
center: Klipsch C-20 $310
rear: Klipsch B-20 $280
sub: Klipsch RW-12d $350
receiver: Denon 1712 $262
Total = $1482

OPTION 4
front: Infinity Primus P163 ----:
center: Infinity Primus PC351 --:$576 shipped
rear: Infinity Primus P163 ----:
receiver: Denon 1912 $313 shipped
Total: $1501

OPTION 5
front: HTD Level THREE--:
center: HTD Level THREE--: $732 shipped
rear: HTD Level TWO--:
receiver: Denon 1612 $190
Total = $1534

See less See more
#2 ·
First, a big welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Go for the Hsu sub. I don't have either one you are looking at (I have ULS-15s) but I do have the Klipsch sub. You will be better pleased with either Hsu.

How about a package deal of all Hsu? Their bookshelf speakers have gotten rave reviews:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/packages.html

One of those will still leave $s for a receiver, especially if you buy a re-furb one from Accessories4Less:

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...iver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html

Nothing wrong with their factory refurbs; I bought a Denon 3312 from them this summer and it was in perfect condition - not even a scratch.

#4 ·
Funny you mentioned a HSU 5.1 vtf2 speaker package... I was thinking the same thing. Never heard them myself... But I own an HsU sub.

One factor... If you do go that route you may want to factor-in speaker stands for your front 3... I say that without knowing what your placement situation is...

#7 ·
+1 for the Hsu Hybrid pkg. I have a pair of the HB-1s for my fronts and they're great for music and movies. My old man has a 5.1 hybrid 3 pkg in a 40x20x20 room (cathedral ceiling) and it has no problem filling it with great sound. If you can swing it, get the rosenut finish. Got in on my fronts and wish I'd gotten it on my vtf3.3.

#9 ·
Hmmm... You know what? Knowing what I now know, after owning 3 subs previous to my vtf2.... Don't skimp out on the sub. That vtf2-mk4 can be a rock in your system for many years to come. Others may disagree about this, but good bass is hard to find!

Either stretch the budget, or find a way to make it work with a different set of speakers.

#12 ·
Hello,
I would also consider SVS's S Series. They are being blown out for 50% off and combined with a VTF-2 MKiV would make for an excellent speaker array. 2 pairs of SBS-02's and an SCS-02 combined with the VTF-2 would come in well under $1500.

Another intriguing choice is the $1500 Klipsch Icon WF-35 that Newegg has for a ridiculous $538 a pair. Here is the link:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780081&name=Home-Audio-Speakers
If you could do dual 35's and the matching WC-24 with the VTF-2, it would be an amazing package.
Here is a link for the 24:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780085

The total before shipping is $1804, but the MSRP is well over $4000 and you can spend less on an AVR due to the efficiency of the Klipschs. It would make for a fantastic HT and using identical Towers for Mains and Surrounds is something I have done for quite some time to excellent effect.
Cheers,
JJ

#13 ·
Option 1 or 5, will be solid performers as they make good stuff.
They are both good for music and movies > with no harsh, sharp
or edgy sound. Some popular name brands may need to go back
to the drawing board, with the level of performace that you will
get from #1 or 5. Mated with the HSU Sub, you will have a solid
type system, on a tight budget.

#14 · (Edited)
Choice #1 is an interesting value proposition. I recently acquired a pair of the Pioneer bookshelf speakers and I willingly attest to their neutrality and ability to create a full, detailed soundstage. They may be the best deal out there for a sub/satellite system and the HSU sub is a great choice - my own, personal experience is that the Pioneers can keep up with very capable subwoofers if crossed over at 80hz or above... the mid/woofer on the Pioneer is the star of the show and has great transient response... it's just that it is small. This past weekend I was thinking about using the center channel SP-C22 - turned vertical - as a bookshelf. It's 3db more efficient than the SP-BS22 and also one db more efficient than the towers.

I actually voted for the Klipsch outfit, because of the efficiency gained by using horns (about 10db). The Klipsch speakers are only drawing approx. 10 watts at the same volume where the Pioneer speakers (and the AVR driving them) are maxed out. Horn-loaded tweeters also help avoid early-reflection issues and (to my ear) are more dynamic sounding. When the speakers are properly positioned in a room, along with speaker stands, horn-loaded tweeters produce a sound-stage I tend to prefer, set in front of the speakers instead on between them. It's worth taking the downgrade on the sub and receiver in order to have a speaker system that will not be as easily taxed when it attempts to recreate cinema soundtracks and modern, highly dynamic electronic music. As great as the Pioneer speakers sound, the tweeters start to break up before optimum volumes are achieved and listener fatigue sets in - at least with anything less than a dedicated amp.

Sadly, I am not knowledgeable enough to have an opinion on the other systems in the list.

#16 ·
So W.A.F. played into this one, but it looks like the kind gentleman at Best Buy was able to convince her that the Pioneers are the way to go and thus I will be going with that speaker selection. He did however suggest I NOT get the HSU VTF-2 (it would drown out the speakers and costs too much) and just get 2 of the SW-8MK2 instead. Thoughts?!

#18 ·
Didn't make much since to me since it would be adjusted to my setup... Also, although two subs would even out where the bass is coming from, they sure as hell aren't gonna go all the way down to 18hz. He said that since I'm in an apartment, I wouldn't be able to really use it anyway. I'm not so sure since our top and bottom floor have a layer of concrete between them. Also, I would prob get an isolation mat. Definitely still want the hsu...

#21 · (Edited)
In my personal experience, the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers will keep up with just about any subwoofer, so long as they are also getting enough power. Feeding the Pioneer bookshelf units with a 275 watts/channel Crown XTi-1000 did the trick, there was more than enough headroom to keep up with my four 12" subs, powered by over 2,000 watts. The coolest thing is how flat the AJ Pioneers are, my REW graphs looked like they were drawn with a ruler (well, almost).

The Pioneer subs look like the weak link in that system, the HSU sub is the right choice there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.