Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

If something breaks in your system you would...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple responses are permitted.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
try fix it myself;replace it; other -

trying to care for my gear better and learn how to measure it's "health" / monitor health/consistency measures.

the economics of professional repair - expect it to cost $300. is it worth it?

Here - $150 risk $50-75 to ship and $75 to get estimate(applys to fix) that's $125-$150 - and if the estimate is $150, ie another $75 then another $50-$75 to ship back - total cost $325-$375 - so making it simple its $125 to try and $325 to get it done.

You also have to factor in the "Mercedes effect" as repairs on expensive equipment can be ..expensive though purchasing used can be "inexpensive" replace with same used item can be less expensive.

I don't think I could cost effectively professionally repair either my hafler amps or my Integra receivers - just replace - buy another on ebay. However, I do want to know how well they are working and get measurement tools and learn more to know what shape the gear is in qualitatively and be able to compare measures of the two identical models for similarity and difference.

I have thought if I knew what is wrong with a piece of gear I could somehow get a lower cost repair. I have not found this to be the case however at this time.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
If something breaks I would do this...
1: If it is under warranty have it repaired
2:Talk to my friend who does this for a living and have him repair it out of warranty if he has the time.
3:See if one of my friends can help guide me to repair it myself.
4:If it is not worth repairing ... Too hard or expensive then buy a new piece.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It's under warranty, that's a no brainer, most placed exchange for new if not too expensive. I've done this with 3 Xbox controllers.

Next I would try to fix it myself since by the time you pay for the repair & shipping, your close enough to new not to justify having a full warranty again.

Next I would find somebody in the business that is able to work with me. Did this with wiring my theater, coat me .10 cents a foot for all my wire. The guy was very helpful & even told me he sells Marantz equipment & will beat all prices substantialy whenever I'm ready. That was nice!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Under warranty deal with that of course. Out of warranty get estimate at local repair shop depending on age and cost of item. It's nice having a local repair shop:), just not sure how long they will still be around:(.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I voted fix it myself buy I can't do surface mount soldering. So I suppose it would ultimately depend in what it was that broke. If my BDP broke I'd just replace it. If it was my AVR I'd try to get it fixed. It it was my speakers I'd try to do it myself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I didn't see a voting option to take it out in to a field and bash it with a baseball bat, so I voted to try to fix it myself.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'll try to fix it. Hammer didn't work, so I'm thinking it must be electrical. Pesky fluxing Mylar capacitating diodes I'm sure...
Some of my handy work with the laminator at work.

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technically, it is not a hammer, it is a fine adjusting tool.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
If it is under warranty repair thats a no brainer because it is probably newer tech and up to date. If it had sentimental value or was something I could use for any system susch as an amplifier I would have a pro fix it unless the cost of repair would be as much or more than buying new.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Unless it is a very simple repair I would send it in if under warranty, if the warranty has expired and I had detailed instructions on how to make the repair I have no problem taking something apart and trying to fix it.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
if under warranty send it in only after some trouble shooting first to make sure it's the component that's brock and self unfixable , out of warranty call repair shop and if cost is reasonable send in and or if possible get parts and fix myself .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts