Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Poll: Piano Black or Black Vinyl on SB12 Plus

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll: Piano Black or Black Vinyl on SVS SB12 Plus?

Piano Black Advantages:
looks nicer (looks expensive)
magnetic grill holders

Black Vinyl Advantages:
cheaper
no fingerprints

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Piano black if in a well lit room and the wife approves. Vinyl if in a dark Home Theater Room. Dennis

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I like the piano black because I've seen it and it's purty. But doc has a point about it being used in a dark HT room. I refuse to buy piano black speakers for my HT room... been there and done that, and the reflections off the screen is distracting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have Piano Black...looks classy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the piano black and it looks way cool. I like the way the reflections make look transparent.

For me it was an aesthetic issue and I don't mind dusting now and then.

DN

http://myht.shutterfly.com/action/

·
Banned
127 Posts
Come on Mike! Bust loose that money and go for the piano black :spend:

Besides, each sub you buy has to look better than the previous one. :yes:

(got to do something to make it stand out from all the rest)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Piano Black is my choice (after ribbon mahogony and dark cherry piano finish).
But that's another survey!
While the textured black has the advantage of not showing minor imperfections and fingerprints/dust, it will never have that WOW factor that piano black has imho.

·
Registered
28 Posts
PB of course. . .Don't know about you guys but I bless mine every day. . .

·
Registered
73 Posts
sure, take piano black!

I have piano black [SB12+] and textured black [PB12-NSD2].:kiss:
SB12+ looks much more elegance!!!:clap: even mom likes it more! :heartbeat:

so proud to be first TW user with 2 SVSes!!! :jump: haha, now neighbors have to ring 911..... :scared:

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts

I had the PB12-NSD and SB12 here at the same time for a couple of weeks last year. I couldn’t tell a difference between them with music. The PB12 edged out with music, since it had better extension and would play louder at the lowest frequencies. You might want to see my SB12 review sticky’d on this Forum. :)

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
actually, I was reading both your PB10 and SB12 reviews ...
and noticed you liked subs with a 25hz subsonic filter (slope, thingy) for music

I was trying to figure out since the SB12 was naturally a 23-25hz subwoofer, if it had a better music SQ

G

·
I'll chime in. I've had both the PB12, and I currently have the SB12. I prefer the SB12 on music. I haven't been able to do a side by side comparison since I didn't have them both at the same time, but I definitely didn't enjoy using the PB12 on music, it felt very "one note" to me in that regard, I generally turned it off. Now with the SB12 I keep it on for music. Maybe I just had a change of heart, but it's a great little sub. It feels "faster" to me, it keeps up with my mains better (Gallo Reference 3).
All IMO, of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts