Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 1lb of loose polyfill but now I'm wondering to apply it. Do I just stuff it in the box? Will it not get all over the inside of my driver and cause damage? I'm thinking I should get the product in a roll.

Also, is there a better product to use? Ie cleaner install such as a insulation product I can cut into pieces and install?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paperwork with my speaker (10" CSS) mentions placing 1lb of polyfill in the sealed enclosure. But do they mean loose polyfill or the stuff on a roll? I'm worried this loose stuff can get into the voicecoil etc?

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Paperwork with my speaker (10" CSS) mentions placing 1lb of polyfill in the sealed enclosure. But do they mean loose polyfill or the stuff on a roll? I'm worried this loose stuff can get into the voicecoil etc?
Polyfill acts to increase apparent volume of a sealed enclosure. Every pound of polyfill increases apparent volume of an enclosure by 0.1 cubic feet for a maximum increase of approximately 10% of total volume. The material should be loosely packed for such applications. I have never actually used the material so I cannot comment on it damaging drivers.

Do not polyfill is useless at attenuating driver back waves which are one of the causes of cabinet resonance. They will also not attenuate any driver created mechanical noise or any standing waves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Grandmaster ,greets. If you fashion a loose shield made from
open plastic mesh such as "Gutterguard" to fit around the driver, your problem is solved.This is what I did.Take care not to obstruct the backplate vent,and all should be well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts