Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the SPDIF out on my Roland Quad Capture with REW. I get a "pop" noise as the sweep begins. Does this matter? I have presumed that if I start the sweep at a sufficiently low Hz (i.e. 5Hz) then the troublesome noise will be gone by the time the sweep gets to the frequency range I care about.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok - the problem is that I have no idea how to avoid REW from making this pop as the digital input signal locks in. (Other than to switch to analogue)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I wonder if the pop is the input or output clipping? have you tried lowering the levels?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nothing on the Roland would indicate clipping - and levels have been checked before starting any sweep. It is like a well-defined, static, 'pop'...

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi Steve,

Re; the "pops" .

- Distinct "pops" really aren't that uncommon with digital playback due to slight ( soft-patch ) plumbing issues ( of the digital audio stream ) within the OS .
- One only has to cruise the Jriver forum for a while to see how this is a fairly constant theme ( when trying to stream networked audio under certain conditions / disconnect & reconnect of the stream creates the "pop" ) .

- Which computer are you presently using for REW ? ( Mac or PC, I know you've used both in the past )

- FYI, your multi-channel ( USB based ) soundcard isn't fully compatible with any flavour of Mac OS . That ( S-Card ) may be the source of the problem ( if you are back using your Mac ) .

- As mentioned some months back, one interface solution ( to using a Mac & a multi-chnl soundcard with REW ) is to implement the ( semi-official ) soft-patch work-around that JohnM has posted ( as a sticky ) at the top of this forum ( ie; using Soundflower & LineIn as soft-patch buffers to "trick" JavaMac into behaving ) .

:sn:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Hi. I am using a Windows laptop with ASIO.
( I use an older Dell Vostro laptop, running XP pro- SP3 ) & I use ASIO4ALL as my main ASIO driver ( for my 3 sound cards ).

It consistently works better than any of the OEM drivers ( from Behringer, M-Audio or Focusrite ) .

Have you tried ASIO4ALL ?

:sn:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This continues to bug me. This is the classic deep pop when a digital stream is initiated. It would seem an easy thing to prevent by having REW initiate with a few millisecond tone that is ignored? One would still hear the pop but at least know it's not recorded into the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts