Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the "rules of thumb" people here normally use and why/what results or variables can be expected from various port designs? I normally try to make the ports as large as possible withouy having the length be much more than ~4x the diameter. Have built a few speakers but never with the same drivers / box twice and haven't ever made a test jig to play with these variables in a controlled way.

I'm keen to hear any thoughts especially regarding large volume ports (by-product of large diameter therefore long ports) and any pros or cons of restricting my diameter to length ratio?

Would any of you have thoughts on using an 8" woofer with a 4.5" port?

Thanks.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: port dimensions vs speaker size

Yeah I'm ok with tuning etc, just haven't played with ports longer than 4-5 x the diameter, not modelled but in the real world. From my experience somethings that aren't noticable in speakers and amps make a difference to the human ear and sometimes tiny changes in equiptment sounds way different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.