Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are a couple of box designs I am considering as an alternative to my Sonosub plan

As per the Sonosub thread, gear is Mach 5 IXL 18.2.2 and Behringer NU3000 amp. Measurements are in metric (mm).

If someone/s want to have a look over my designs and see if there is any glaring issues, that would be great. I am having issues sourcing materials for a Sonosub build, so a box is going to be the way forward for me.

As you can see from the designs, I am shooting for a 15Hz tuned port.

My three main worries are:

Will 16mm MDF be enough for this project?
What level of internal bracing should I be going for? (Bearing in mind I am not a master woodworker)

Single port - 396L effective (not sure if this has a bearing or not)
Dual port - Length of ports (these come fairly close to the back wall, not sure of effect)

Single Port

or

Dual Port

As a side note, the plus side for the single port design is that I have 150mm PVC pipe laying around.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Why not use the box design that Mach 5 has for the IXL 18?

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_enclosures.html Slot port tuned to 17hrz and alittle smaller cabinet and a cutout list.

I would say 16mm is find but if it was me I would double up the front baffle and make plenty of window braces. Its not the thickness that matters its the bracing. Dowel rods would be a very easy way to add plenty of bracing without trying to cut window bracing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use the box design that Mach 5 has for the IXL 18?

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_enclosures.html Slot port tuned to 17hrz and alittle smaller cabinet and a cutout list.

I would say 16mm is find but if it was me I would double up the front baffle and make plenty of window braces. Its not the thickness that matters its the bracing. Dowel rods would be a very easy way to add plenty of bracing without trying to cut window bracing.
ISTs provided box is in inches, which doesn't convert well to metric. Also, I wanted to get it tuned at 15Hz, because its mainly going to be for HT use. Plus, I want to be able to say, "Go me, I came up with this myself!" I have noticed some issues with my single port design, and am re-doing it at the moment. Will upload when measurements finished, back to pen and paper for this one. Front baffle will be doubled. I was thinking battens along each corner of the cabinet, would that be enough bracing? if not, I will look into the dowel rods as an option.

Cheers,
Whimsic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How crazy would I need to go with the dowelling? I was thinking 19mm rods, 4 horizontal and 4 vertical evenly spaced through the interior(as close to "even" as possible anyway).

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would suggest every 20cm a dowel.
Don't space them too evenly, to avoid the same panel resonances over and over.
Maybe it's good to calculate the volume the dowels will occupy and adjust the enclosure accordingly.
You said, horizontal and vertical. Back to front too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts