Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are a couple of box designs I am considering as an alternative to my Sonosub plan

As per the Sonosub thread, gear is Mach 5 IXL 18.2.2 and Behringer NU3000 amp. Measurements are in metric (mm).

If someone/s want to have a look over my designs and see if there is any glaring issues, that would be great. I am having issues sourcing materials for a Sonosub build, so a box is going to be the way forward for me.

As you can see from the designs, I am shooting for a 15Hz tuned port.

My three main worries are:

Will 16mm MDF be enough for this project?
What level of internal bracing should I be going for? (Bearing in mind I am not a master woodworker)

Single port - 396L effective (not sure if this has a bearing or not)
Dual port - Length of ports (these come fairly close to the back wall, not sure of effect)

Single Port

or

Dual Port

As a side note, the plus side for the single port design is that I have 150mm PVC pipe laying around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use the box design that Mach 5 has for the IXL 18?

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_enclosures.html Slot port tuned to 17hrz and alittle smaller cabinet and a cutout list.

I would say 16mm is find but if it was me I would double up the front baffle and make plenty of window braces. Its not the thickness that matters its the bracing. Dowel rods would be a very easy way to add plenty of bracing without trying to cut window bracing.
ISTs provided box is in inches, which doesn't convert well to metric. Also, I wanted to get it tuned at 15Hz, because its mainly going to be for HT use. Plus, I want to be able to say, "Go me, I came up with this myself!" I have noticed some issues with my single port design, and am re-doing it at the moment. Will upload when measurements finished, back to pen and paper for this one. Front baffle will be doubled. I was thinking battens along each corner of the cabinet, would that be enough bracing? if not, I will look into the dowel rods as an option.

Cheers,
Whimsic

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How crazy would I need to go with the dowelling? I was thinking 19mm rods, 4 horizontal and 4 vertical evenly spaced through the interior(as close to "even" as possible anyway).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts