Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
It's a long time I'm thinking what kind of subwoofer I'd build: for my old ht room I built two 4-way towers, a 2-way central and two 2-way rears, I'm very satisfied about them (at least until I'll build something better! :)) and I'll use them again in my next room.
I built also a isobaric subwoofer, but it was more an experiment than a real project and I never used it.
I'm almost a 90% noob and I must say my experience is not very valuable, I've good craftsman capabilities but I miss the theory: I've followed the speakers projects but without understanding the basis... that's one of the reasons I'm here, I want to learn so please excuse me in advance as I know I'll write a lot of wrong things.
But I digress.
My plan is to build a subwoofer capable to go under 10hz, if possible... I'm thinking about a ported LLT with 2 or 4 18" (which ones?) powered by an EP4000 or similar (enough or too much? Here we use 220 volts), and the best would be to put it inside the raiser under the screen (3mt/8,5ft wide, 16:9).
Quite clearly, I'd like to use the raiser as cabinet.
Next room should be 8mt(22,4ft) x 6mt(16,9ft), high 3,2mt(9ft) and it will be sealed.
I don't know if someone has built something similar nor if this is a totally crazy idea, but as it's a long time project (the house should be ready in one year and a half, almost beginning of 2013) I wish to think about this build from now on and understand what are the alternatives.
Many thanks in advance for your attention, and sorry for my english.

AM

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looking forward to seeing where this go's. I have a LLT 14.5hz 24" by 49" Sonotube with a 15" Dayton.
I like it alot. I'm wondering if a sub producing under 10hz will be hard to match to a amp that can sustain that frequency or if it will depend somewhat on design. I'm sure Mike.P will get you on the right track. Remember lots of pictures, we love pictures here!
Welcome to the HTS! :D

·
Banned
6 Posts
Well.... For fun I modelled this one months ago. Don't have the money to build it though.
Plus I've read that the T/S aren't that accurate. But it models well :innocent:

This is with a modest 1000W. Quite expensive driver, huge enclosure :devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking forward to seeing where this go's. I have a LLT 14.5hz 24" by 49" Sonotube with a 15" Dayton.
I like it alot. I'm wondering if a sub producing under 10hz will be hard to match to a amp that can sustain that frequency or if it will depend somewhat on design. I'm sure Mike.P will get you on the right track. Remember lots of pictures, we love pictures here!
Welcome to the HTS! :D
Thank you Jason!
I'm curious too! :)
No problem about the pictures, but you'll have to wait because I'll start the build very later. :dontknow:

Welcome! A couple of questions for you.

1.we need to determine how much space the subs can occupy. Tell us the maximum dimensions you are willing to go for the cabinet.

2. How much are you willing to spend on the drivers and where are you located?
Thank you Mike!
I've no idea about the maximum dimensions because of my idea to use the raiser as cabinet, but if it is not possible I've to consider different alternatives (no sonotubes)... I've to find a thread where the op built four subwoofer using eight 18", the dimensions of those subwoofer should be ok (I'd use two) but I've to find that thread in order to give you a better answer.
Room dimensions should permit to build big cabinets, anyway... but the problem is: what do you mean for 'big'? :)
The budget: including up to four drivers and the amp, I'd like to stay under 3000$, I'm in Italy but I've still to check if I can buy the drivers in the european market or I've to buy them overseas (in this case shipping expenses and customs duty will increase my costs a lot).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.... For fun I modelled this one months ago. Don't have the money to build it though.
Plus I've read that the T/S aren't that accurate. But it models well :innocent:

This is with a modest 1000W. Quite expensive driver, huge enclosure :devil:
Actually my first problem is that I've not the space where to built it! :hissyfit:
As I'll be able to fully understand WinIsd (I know there's a guide here on HTF) I'll do some tests too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How big would that area be?

I do expect to have it 4,5mt(12,7ft) wide, 1mt(2,9ft) depth and 56cm(1,7ft) high (I hope conversions are right)...

EDIT: I checked other conversion tables and I don't understand why I get different conversions: some give me 1ft=30cm, others give me 1ft=35cm... until now I used the 1ft=35cm, but what's the right one?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a fast check on PE, shipping cost for a pair is $376,81 (economy) or $583,60 (priority).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts