Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was originally going to go with dual 24x24x24 subs in my setup. My wife said that just wasn't going to happen.

But I was given the option of simply making a better sub than our existing one (eD A2-300). I am open to idea's and suggestions but here are the criteria:

-24x24x24 max size for box (if using legs can wiggle on height)
-can utilize 1 or 2 drivers
-sealed or ported (if ported driver must be downfiring and so must port)
-budget for drivers is NO MORE than 520 shipped to 46278
-able to utilize the iNuke 3000 DSP

The plan is to use a iNuke 3000 DSP with the fan and heatsink mod as add a bunch of dynamat to it to make it more silent.

So far it looks like the 2 x Stereo Integrity D4's wired into a 8 ohm load in a 6 cubic foot box with the iNuke bridged (so its a 4 ohm load total) is the best bang for my buck. With DSP I am sure I could try to shore up the bottom end to make it even better.

Thats it, help me build the biggest baddest sub I can for the money. I am "assuming" by DIY'ing it I can get a better performance than say just buying a SVS PC-12NSD, etc... If not please let me know where to look

P.S. how do you calculate the addition of polyfil to a sealed sub? For every lb of poly do you simply add another cubic foot to the WinISD calculation?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So here is what I see on paper..

6 cubic foot ported box. Dual SI 15 D4's wired at 2 ohms. Connect each woofer to one channel of the amp. Each driver gets 1000 watts.

Here is how that models out or at least how I "think" it models out....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bueller?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your port width should be the internal width of the box.

Compare dual sealed to ported and see what the difference is.
Will do when I get home tonight and post some graphs.

Also are you familiar with the Martycube? It uses a 18" driver in a slot loaded configuration. I wonder if it might fair better?

I want a decently flat response and dont mind giving up a couple db's to do it so not sure if the 18 has a higher SPL but also harder to get flat as a result.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts