Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting pretty close to finishing my box for a SS RL-P 15D2. It is a 3.5 cu ft box tuned to 24 Hz. The box is two layers of 19 mm MDF with an outer covering of premium maple 1/2" plywood. All of the edges and the area around the port are solid oak. This wood scheme matches the wood scheme of our movie room. I wanted to build a larger unit, but there are serious WAF concerns and this is the largest box I could get past my wife. The outside dimensions are 24" x 24" x 21.5".

For amplification I'm considering the Crown XTi 2000. It has tons of power, enough to add another subwoofer or go to an IB setup once I'm posted next year and buy a house and it has programmable DSP with EQ and filtering.

I'll put some pictures in subsequent posts.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I have that same router ;) It makes very nice cuts.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that same router ;) It makes very nice cuts.
It is a great router for the money.

Anyway, I'm applying the polyurethane finish now... hopefully I'll have it finished in a couple of days and I'll post some pictures.

My wife is bugging me to make a dulcimer for her now... I'm a bigger fan of building a cube I think....

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot guys. I think it's pretty solid... maybe a little too solid. I haven't thrown it on a scale, but from having to lift it (with two people) it seems to weigh in the neighbourhood of 100 lbs.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, the enclosure is finished. I'm just waiting to order the drivers. Mike should get back to me tonight with the final quote and I'll send him off the funds for two RL-P15 D2s. The amplifier will arrive tomorrow, so once the drivers show up I'll be ready to start up.

I've been playing around with some modeling and here is what I've come up with so far.

It is low passed at 80 Hz with a second order Butterworth and high passed at 20Hz with a second order Butterworth as well. There is 3 dB of boost at 20 Hz.

Any thoughts? I'm pretty new at this so I'd appreciate any and all input.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've constructed the grill.

The drivers should be on the way any day now. The amp showed up last week, so once the drivers arrive it should be ready for testing! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You can't buy'em like that anywhere... :T
Nope, once all is said and done, this sub should have cost slightly more than a Velodyne DLS-5000R. I'm hoping it will outperform it (I've read that the Velo has some problems below 30 Hz). Since I'm moving up from a Mission 10" sub, I'm sure I'll be blown away regardless.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts