Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built 2 SDX 15s in 9.3 cu.ft tuned to 15 hz and based on their size have been wondering.... I have setup these drivers using the RS digital meter and the cal file, only to find some massive peaks, so I picked up the 1124p. Tamed the peaks and am extremely happy with what I have got but...

I want smaller enclosures so that I have more options for placement therefore I have been looking at different alignments and have been comparing sealed vs ported.

I like the response that I can get with 5 cu.ft tuned to 20 hz ported and a sealed box at 3 cu.ft boosted 6db at 25 hz.

Am I comparing apples to apples or not. Will I be able to boost 25 hz at 6 db (EP2500 Stereo 4 ohms/ch). A 3 cu.ft box sounds great and I could double that and put in two drivers.

Looking for opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
When adding boost, remember that you can't exceed the maximum power of the amp.

If you are already at that point before boosting, then you should view adding boost as being equivalent to a cut at all the other frequencies.

On the other hand, porting adds output to the normal sealed response. Due to the need for an "air spring" to drive the port's resonant circuit, the box size is usually about double that of a sealed design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, how do I determine if I have enough power, if that is all that is stopping me? I think the EP2500 is putting out about 1200 watts into the two channels. I can get another EP2500 and run one bridged for each SDX... or that might be a bit too much.

·
Registered
287 Posts
According to this site, the power rating for that driver is around 1000w.

With the voice coils in series, you get 3.6 ohms, which is a good match for each channel of the EP2500. If this is how you are currently running them, then you are up around the maximum power for both the amp and the drivers.

Have you modelled the setup in WinISD. Even though these are supposed to be a "bottomless" design, it is worth keeping an eye on cone excursion. (less of a problem with sealed)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts