Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I currently have a midrange receiver 2 years old ran great! tell yesterday evening,
when our family wanted to watch a movie. We all heard a weird noise from the front speakers,sounded like a scratching noise,whoosh sound. So i stop the movie,and i smelled some awful smoke from the receiver i turn every thing off quickly and unplug it from outlet. I shine a flash light to see what was smoking and what you know a capacitor, but there's some black stuff on it. I'm not sure what the happen,i never had this issue with anything that i own. So is it easy to replace a blown capacitor?. I'v check to see if there was a repair shop around my area,theres 1 but it's 25 miles away and not gonna make that trip. What would guy's do, send it in and have them repair it or just buy another receiver?. The model is VSX-1121-k.:hissyfit: :scratch:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There is almost certainly something else wrong that took out the cap. I would be checking for shorted semiconductors and open resistors, but expect a challenge if you are not familiar with troubleshooting amplifiers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts