Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm still at it. My IB keeps getting further delayed, but, that's ok as I'm still not sure how I want the room layed out. After the holidays I think I might flip it, try it and see how I like it. I don't want to commit to an IB until I commit to a layout. I also don't want to cut into the ceiling as it has a very consistent pattern... I already put a crack in it when I was crawling around the attic :rolleyesno:

We just bought this house a few months ago and I'm finding "hidden space". Last night I find a space that would be a great space for an IB if it's big enough. The space works out to be a little over 40^3. Would that be an IB or just a giant sealed enclosure? I have about $400 +/- budgeted for the drivers. Currently I'm looking at 2 Fi IB 18's or 4 AE IB 15's

So... what do you think?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I could pull it off with Dayton drivers, but, not FI or AE. Bummer... I bet 400^3 would make a mean LLT

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think I've done my math all wrong...

the space is 24"x24"x132" (11') so it breaks down to 44 but I said 40 to round.

Sorry for the confusion, but, thanks for trying...

It's just in such a perfect spot. I've tried a box sub there and got great response... well, as good as it can put out. I really miss my old IB but, it's fun trying to plan the next project.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's hard to explain. It's a seperate wall cavity over the stair case and entry way into the house. I'm not really sure WHY it's there. Our neighbors have an area like this but it has a tall, narrow window and shelves... maybe it was an option? The house is 35 years old. We just bought it a few months ago.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep...

Wondering if that's just too much room to work with, should I try and seal off a portion of it? Maybe cut the space in half? Or just use more drivers ;) I do need to stay close to budget for now and I can add more as time goes or as needed.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The simplest implementation would be a pair of Fi SSD 18's. They model well in 20 cu.ft. each tuned to 17 hz. Your 40 cu. ft. enclosure would be perfect for them. All you would have to do is brace the cabinet so no panels flex. A pair of 6 inch diameter Precision Ports 8.75 inches long would do the tuning. 600 watts each would take them to their limits which would be over 121 db at 20 hz. The subs cost $229 each, you can contact Fi to find out exactly what the total will be including shipping.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How will the sound / feel of that compare to that of what I've grown to love in an IB?

Price is right! My concern is once I start adding braces they will start losing space. What's the common trend, 1 brace per 12"? That would work out to roughly 11 braces, at 3/4" thick. I would probably do the window pane style brace... is that going to ruin your math or is it enough to worry about it? Should the 2 drivers be in their own chamber or all together? It would not be hard to add 1 brace to seperate the two... maybe double thickness.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Why not go with 4 IB15's from Acoustic Elegance? I think a 4 pack is $400. Exodus Audio also has some IB 15's for around $100 each I think. You'll have 10cu ft or more for each driver. Don't worry about the 10x VAS # so much. I'd bet money that in a blind listening test you could not tell the difference between the 4 15's operating in 44cu ft and in 400cu ft.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vas on the AE IB 15's is 439L which is 15.5^3. Times that by 4 and you end up at 62^3 and I only have 40ish to offer.

Those are one of the drivers I was interested in for IB use. Wonder if there are any other drivers with a lower VAS.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The issue here is 40 cu.ft. is not enough room for an IB. Here is some modeling.
Green - 4 AE IB 15's
Yellow 2 Fi SSD18's sealed.(Fi IB 18's model the same)
Pink - 2 Fi SSD18's tuned to 17 hz.

A pair of AE 15's model better in 40 cu.ft. but you have a large area and SPL might be an issue. The Fi 18's ported give you alot more low end for HT, but it all depends on what you want. If anyone else has a suggestion please join in here.

IB models.JPG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike, I appreicate all the work you're putting into this. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Dual FI set up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Something else I wonder / worry about. I never could explain this and I have heard many others say the same thing. When I play my 12" loud I can hear it outside, with my IB I never heard much of anything. When I was up visiting my friend ArtieK who has quad FI 18's in an attic IB he had it louder than I would ever listen and again, nothing outside... he had a window open ( to let the pressure out I guess) and the only thing I could hear then was mid / highs.

I live in a very quiet neighborhood...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts