Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a controversial subject and am not trying to stir up anything. However, after using stock power cords for years and I like to try some aftermarket power cords to see what kind of impact, if any, they would have on my system. Not being knowledgeable about power cords I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My equipment consists of the following equipment with (PC) indication what needs a power cord exists:

Electronics
Krell 20i CD player (PC)
Innous Zenith MK3 music Server (PC)
Bryston SP3 Pre/Pro (PC)
YBA 2 Amplifier for Primary Gen V Speakers (PC)
2 YBA 2 Amplifiers (for surround and center) (2PC)
Torus AVR20 (toroidal Isolation Power transformer) (PC)

Speakers
Genesis Advanced Technologies V Speakers with external servo-amp (PC)
Genesis Advanced Technology 4/8 subwoofer with internal servo-amp (PC)
Genesis Advanced Technologies Surround Speakers (3 )

Since I have a requirement for 9 power cords, I will start with a couple of PC and then add more as finance allows if I feel its worthwhile. What pieces of equipment would provide the biggest bang for the buck? Roughly how much money does it take to start hearing true benefits and what is the price point for diminishing returns from a new power cord? Are there certain brands that offer more value so I can keep costs down?
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since music is important I presume this is where I would see the biggest benefit from after market power cords when compared to HT

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,313 Posts
It's highly unlikely there will be any difference, but if there was music is probably where you would hear it. Most movie soundtracks are geared toward bluster with finesse of little importance. Music is frequently the opposite however.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
For me diminishing returns starts when you buy a new power cord. Improvements will come from speakers MUCH more than from electronics.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I am happy with my speakers and electronics and was just looking for ways to maximize performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The aftermarket audio power cable business is a total scam. You mentioned that you didn't know much about power cables, and that's exactly what they're counting on. Don't enrich con artists.

If you want an upgrade, look at room treatments, room correction software, and additional subwoofers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the feed from the power panel to the outlet? 14/3 Solid Romex, 12/3 Solid Romex ? what is the distance, what is the feed to the panel? If you have a cable supplied by the OEM I assume it suplys the required current. That's all you need. Changing the last 6' will not cause a observible difference unliss you switch to 24 gadge or something that starts a fire.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know this is a controversial subject and am not trying to stir up anything. However, after using stock power cords for years and I like to try some aftermarket power cords to see what kind of impact, if any, they would have on my system. Not being knowledgeable about power cords I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My equipment consists of the following equipment with (PC) indication what needs a power cord exists:

Electronics
Krell 20i CD player (PC)
Bryston SP3 Pre/Pro (PC)

Speakers

Since I have a requirement for 9 power cords, I will start with a couple of PC and then add more as finance allows if I feel its worthwhile. What pieces of equipment would provide the biggest bang for the buck? Roughly how much money does it take to start hearing true benefits and what is the price point for diminishing returns from a new power cord? Are there certain brands that offer more value so I can keep costs down?
Thanks
Joe
My first move would be to be sure the equipment, especially the amps, have their own 20 amp circuit breaker. That would be 12 gauge wire from the main box to the location of your equipment. To run all your stuff off of a 15 amp breaker with 14 gauge wire, then put expensive fancy 10 gauge ish wire from a power cable seems kind of nuts. Now, once you have a 12 gauge to your equipment I would likely put a hefty wire to the amps first. I do not know how much power you are running or the speaker efficiency so I really cannot say much about the wire needed. Personally for me it is all in the speakers. Any transducer (changes electrical to mechanical like a speaker or changes mechanical to electrical like a phono cartridge) are the most critical things of all. In todays world maybe a good DAC and optical cable from or to the DAC. I do have some stuff that is wiring related but I really do not think it is anything to go nuts with. Get speakers that you like and a cartridge you like and go. I did get a PS audio Gain cell than has a dac and I think it sounds better than my Dacs in the Marantz cd player or my Oppo 205 cd player. Just early impression. I did make a few power cables and it starets with the end connectors costing about $50 a cable. Then cable for $8 a foot maybe. That makes you a cable sold complete for about $280 for under $100. To pay more than $100 for a power line is not worth while to me at least.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Electronics
Krell 20i CD player (PC)
Bryston SP3 Pre/Pro (PC)

Speakers

Thanks
Joe
I agree with the getting two dedicated lines from your breaker box, one for your stereo/ av gear preamp stuff and one for your power amps try Pangea 9se 7 gauge on your power amps cheap but quite good or try a heavy gauge 10 AWG Voodoo . Get all your computer gear off the dedicated lines use an isolated transformer with your switched mode stuff so the hash doesn't come back onto your a.c. lines. Where possible use linear power supplies on every bit of Computer equipment in your house. The noise floor will be beautifully low and your enjoyment will be improved.
My brother comes to my house and always says how do you get it so quiet, that is how my friend . Don't listen to those experts who wouldn't spend a penny because science says you can't hear it that's their loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
While we are on the subject of power lines from breakers, you might want to try those cryo mcb/circuit breaker upgrades.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While we are on the subject of power lines from breakers, you might want to try those cryo mcb/circuit breaker upgrades.
I would definitely look at a separate ground for the dedicated lines I don't know anything about cryogenic stuff so I defer to you to justify your own statement

·
Registered
10 Posts
They will make no difference, if your requirement is well designed. Would you change what is in your wall? Upgrade the outlets? Change the AC wiring inside of each piece of equipment? What about the PCB traces?

It appears your's is so save your money and purchase new vinyl or something that you can enjoy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They will make no difference, if your requirement is well designed. Would you change what is in your wall? Upgrade the outlets? Change the AC wiring inside of each piece of equipment? What about the PCB traces?

It appears your's is so save your money and purchase new vinyl or something that you can enjoy.
Can I ask have you ever tried an aftermarket power cord , RCA or XLR cables ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have both a 15 amp (14 gauge wire from garage fuse box - 45 feet) and 20 amp (12 gauge wire from Meter fuse box -35 feet)) dedicated line (solid Romex) to the wall behind my equipment. the 20 amp circuit feed a Torus Power isolation transformer AVR 20 amp. At this time the 20 Amp circuit being used for all equipment. I tried the 15 amp line but have a ground loop hum which I am going to use a Ground Zero Star Ground system to hopefully eliminate . The ground is the standard house ground from the fuse box but can look into a dedicated ground if necessary and if it doesn't violate any country ordinance.

I am presently using the cheap Home Depot outlets which I know I have to replace.
IMO, although 25 years old the Genesis Advanced Technologies V speaker are very good speakers and since they have their own dedicated servo amp for the base, I do not need a lot of power for the mids and highs.

I do not feel comfortable changing out wiring within the equipment. What is a PCB Trace?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dean,
Yes for both kinds of interconnects and I do hear considerable difference. The only premium power cord I have came with my YBA amplifier.
Are you telling me the difference in power cords are similar to the difference in interconnects.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dean,
Yes for both kinds of interconnects and I do hear considerable difference. The only premium power cord I have came with my YBA amplifier.
Are you telling me the difference in power cords are similar to the difference in interconnects.
No of course not just glad you least admit there is a change in sound from cables in general , not looking for an argument.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Electronics
Krell 20i CD player (PC)
Bryston SP3 Pre/Pro (PC)

Speakers

Thanks
Joe
The thing is, it's you money and you can spend it any way you like. Diminishing returns? Mosty. Like a few others have said, you'll get the best improvement if you install dedicated power lines to your equipment. What good is it if the last 6ft of power cord is kilobuck expensive but the other 70 feet all the way back to the main breaker panel is standard residential. So, if you plan on upgrading your power cords, at least upgrade the Outlets, replace the standard Duplex Receptacles with something much better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No of course not just glad you least admit there is a change in sound from cables in general , not looking for an argument.
No Argument, I really meant can the change in power cords be as distinctive as the change in interconnects.!
I find significant differences between standard and high quality interconnects.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AEIOU,
I was away from this technology for the past 25 years and only now, upon retiring can I get back into updating areas of my system that justify the expense.
I ask what may be basic question because to me this is either new technology (ie music servers) or thing I could not afford to consider 25 years ago.
I can see that it may not be cost effective to spend big bucks on power cords, but is it worthwhile to make your own, buy used or new relatively inexpensive cords such as Pangea?

Of course this is after getting new outlets, of which I am open for suggestions as to what types or brands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
AEIOU,
I was away from this technology for the past 25 years and only now, upon retiring can I get back into updating areas of my system that justify the expense.
I ask what may be basic question because to me this is either new technology (ie music servers) or thing I could not afford to consider 25 years ago.
I can see that it may not be cost effective to spend big bucks on power cords, but is it worthwhile to make your own, buy used or new relatively inexpensive cords such as Pangea?

Of course this is after getting new outlets, of which I am open for suggestions as to what types or brands.
Yes, it is worth it to use good power cords. Yes, absolutely make your own or buy used, save some money. Yes, I have upgraded power cords on some of my equipment, but only to the Gauge that is required by the current draw for that particular piece of equipment. Your're not dealing with a complex musical signal or complex impedances here, it's 115VAC 60Hz. If anything, make sure your power if clean, filtered and no DC or noise and you'll reap the most benefits.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts