Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of making your own power cords. Made to the exact length you need etc. But is there a place to buy the proper components with out having to mortgage the house?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What do you consider proper components? For me, they would be found at any electrical supply dealer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the idea of making your own power cords. Made to the exact length you need etc. But is there a place to buy the proper components with out having to mortgage the house?
Try Parts Express. They have everything you need, connectors, cable and techflex sleeving. The Belden cable linked to below is a popular choice for modest priced DIY power cords. DH Labs Power Plus AC Cable is an excellent alternative that I have used in the past for DIY power cords, and which I highly recommend. It is also a little cheaper that the Belden cable.

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/ac-power-connectors/1560

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=100-790

http://www.parts-express.com/term/techflex-sleeving?srch=techflex+sleeving

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390057427610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Way to much trouble IMO.
Gear comes with power cords that are included in the UL rating.
Both ends are integrally moulded.
I don't see the upside to making unique length power cords.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You may not see any upside but tens of thousands of audio and HT enthusiasts do. The OP asked for advice on sources of parts, to which you contributed nothing positive, not a dismissive opinion about the value of custom cords.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So what is the value? I am sorry, but I have never been able to detect any difference, either looking for noise in the power supplies or at the speaker terminals. Other than perhaps shielding and the convenience and aesthetics of cords of custom length, I don't see much value in anything but stock cords. If one does want one of those advantages, as I said, any electrical supply has the parts.

I am perfectly willing to entertain the possibility and even test power cords for differences, but among the "tweaks" that get mentioned, this seems to be one of the least likely to have sonic differences.

chasint is welcome to his opinion just like you are welcome to yours, GlenB. The OP can make up his own mind.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To me most everything here could be considered true in one regard or another. Why put nice wood on the outside of speaker cabinets. Why hide the wiring coming or going from one point or another. Sticking only to what adds actual sight or sound improvement is ok with me if thats your thing.

As for me if you can do all that and make it look good as well then this is the art of refinement. Again that is if this is your thing. The cord thing for me is another way to (1) enjoy the actual building project. (2) Add to the cool factor of your gear. (3) neaten up everything with power cord that are cut to the the proper length with out having a wad of extra cord bundled up every where. The way I see it if your interested it's just another way to enjoy our fine passion.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I am not saying that it will make an audible difference, or that it won't, only that there are many aspects to the way one enjoys one's hobby, and it can include taking pride in clean soldering, not leaving bent nails, and using custom length power cables in invisible places. I personally doubt it will make any audible difference, but if one enjoys the process and feels good about the result, it can add to the enjoyment of the room for that person and there is value for him in that respect.

·
Registered
922 Posts
some guy on another forum building a Home theater had made a power cord for his projector that had 2 Male plugs... one on each end. that is going to be dangerous one day when not careful!!

I think building a nice power cable is a good idea. This is a great hobby where you can venture off into many corners.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I made my own, I used DH labs cable and wattgate connectors. nothing expensive. I paid about $8 ft for power cable wire. Wattgate connector price from $20.00 to however expensive you wanna get. I made cables from .5m to 3m. I don't like all the extra spaghetti. Yes it would have been cheaper to buy pre made from monoprice but I wanted to DIY my own. Its a pretty easy project. Good luck :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can see making your own custom cables for the sake of neatness and reducing clutter. But for me it's kind of like worrying about the hose that you used to pump the gas into your tank. It's gonna have very little effect on how your engine performs.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It is fundamentally impossible to improve the sound quality by building your own power cables simply because the wire in your walls is not shielded and is only 14awg all the way back to the panel.
If you like the convenience or the look of a home made cable by all means do it but don't expect any improvement in sound or anything else.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It is fundamentally impossible to improve the sound quality by building your own power cables simply because the wire in your walls is not shielded and is only 14awg all the way back to the panel.
If you like the convenience or the look of a home made cable by all means do it but don't expect any improvement in sound or anything else.
you could always jumper off some wires from the electric box at the curb and run it under about 4 inches of soil through an open window (if you don't live in polar vortex area) then you would most certainly see that improvement ? :D

But really, I think making power cords is a cool idea to have the length just right and im sure they look nicer as well. Plus the fun of stripping wires, soldering iron etc. I can't wait to build my own.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts