Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've toying around with the Dayton RSS390HF-4 driver in WinISD. Seems like a lot of folks like these in a sealed box, and I'm thinking that might be the easier way for me to go on my first project. If I model it in a 4-5 ft^3 box, it looks good with 300w; anything more and the excursion goes through the roof.

However, I see lots of projects on the interwebs where folks have 500+ w running into these things. Is this just a matter of better EQ (I don't have plans for anything beyond Audyssey)? I'd hate to be limiting the driver/design through lack of power, but don't want to kill the thing either. :huh:

WinISD file attached, model is for a PE Bash 300 with HPF and boost represented.

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I think the best use of this driver would be to put it into a ported cabinet. It doesnt model best in a sealed box, and I personally think its Qtc is a little higher than I would like, meaning it would need a larger cab which is an issue as its already beyond xmax. Also, with only 300 watts on tap, your going to find the limits of a sealed sub fairly easily, especially once its eq'd, 300 watts just isnt enough IMHO.

Personally, I think you should go ported with this driver, with this amount of power. If your set on sealed, personally I would look at a different driver and more power, but that will drive up cost in all likely hood. I really do think ported is your best option here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
I actually did a model for a ported box that crushes the sealed for SPL; sounds like that is the way to go. I'm almost thinking it is time to step away from the forums, because there is waaaaaaaaay too much information and opinions out there for a n00b to process effectively.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm almost thinking it is time to step away from the forums, because there is waaaaaaaaay too much information and opinions out there for a n00b to process effectively.
Build it, build it, build it. You know you want to. :D
I'm just about to start a ported build (x2) with the Dayton RSS390HF-4...and I'm a total noob too. I'm pretty sure I would not have gone ported without the sagely advice and help I received here.:eek:lddude:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Build it, build it, build it. You know you want to. :D
I'm just about to start a ported build (x2) with the Dayton RSS390HF-4...and I'm a total noob too. I'm pretty sure I would not have gone ported without the sagely advice and help I received here.:eek:lddude:
The funds are being gathered as I type. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts