Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first post and my main language is french , so sorry if there is some weird things with my english.
I build a closed sub (sdx-15inch) of 106 liters about one year ago. My problem is that my amp failed for the second time.It was a Dayton 1000 watts.Should i try to fix it , or upgrade to what everybody seem to use , a ep2500?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes , but i double check, and i got 4.3ohms with my multimeter.The two times it happen the fuse blew.
I changed the fuse , amp will go on , but no sound. The speaker is good. I drive it with an old Phaselinear for now.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
It's my first post and my main language is french , so sorry if there is some weird things with my english.
I build a closed sub (sdx-15inch) of 106 liters about one year ago. My problem is that my amp failed for the second time.It was a Dayton 1000 watts.Should i try to fix it , or upgrade to what everybody seem to use , a ep2500?
Welcome to the Shack, I would check to make sure that the wire your using to power the sub is heavy gauge enough for the amount of power required (I recommend no less than 14awg) as well as make sure there are no loose strands of wire touching each other or grounding to the metal frame of the amp. This also means inside the box of the sub right to the speaker its self.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opened the box this afternoon , checked the wire connections on the speaker. Everything is tight , no loose strands. And the wire is 14awg. The gain on the amp was set to half and my set up is "tuned with Audissey" from my Denon receiver. The connection from the RCA wire look good too. :huh:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I wonder if the amp is getting to hot and overloading due to the heat. Is the amp mounted in a place where it has adequate air flow, also does it have a 4 and a 8 ohm setting? can the amp properly drive a 4ohm load?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes the amp is rated at 512 watts at 8ohms and 1024 watts at 4 omhs. I bought everything from Solen here in Quebec.The amp is a HPSA1000 from Dayton. It's mounted in the sub box. I don't think it was getting too hot. On movies the LFE channel is set at 80Hz and on music it's set at 40Hz. Pushed it too hard ? The fuse is supposed to protect. Any bad story with this amp?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If only i find my original invoice...I'll let you know the end of the story when i have time to go to Solen.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The amp has failed twice?

Perhaps send an email to Dayton and report your problem. The SDX will safely take much more power than the plate amp can provide in a sealed box that size. Do you think you were pushing the amp hard enough to clip it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think so. I don't know exactly when it happened , one day i found the bass was low , it was closed. I changed the fuse (10 amp) opened the amp , nothing. The amp go on , but no sound. If Solen do nothing i'll probably go for a EP2500.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally , i was able to go at Solen.They replace the amp with one that as been repaired.They didn't seem surprised , the guy there told me it was common. "They're not supposed to fail" he told me , but "they do".

So thank's to every one who gave me hints on "problems shooting". I just hope that this one is the good one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts