Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am disheartened that the lady that works with me and that I have known for some 25+ years, Joy Griffin, age 56, has been diagnosed with small cell carcinoma (lung cancer) and it is apparent that death is rapidly approaching her. Joy started working with me when I first opened First Troy Finance and has been with me for almost eleven years now. She is a valued associate, but more so a very dear friend and sister in Christ.

I can count on one hand the number of days Joy has been out sick, up until this past Fall when she started to miss a few days due to chronic pain she has been experiencing. It is easy to see when someone is really sick, especially when they have not been out of work much. She has had either 3 or 4 weeks of vacation per year since she started, but she has never taken more than 5-6 days per year. She just does not like to miss work. Today she lies in her bed at home struggling to breath and frequently talks about needing to get back to work. Her son made the comment that it is about all she talks about. Needless to say, when she started missing work, I knew then that she had to really be sick. It took several months, numerous tests and various treatment failures for the wrong diagnosis before the doctors finally ordered a body scan, which is when they noticed a spot in each lung. A biopsy returned the news of lung cancer just a little over a week ago... at which time Joy was in the hospital due to severe breathing problems. They have now sent her home because there is nothing the local hospital can do for her knowing the cancer is the cause of the breathing problems.

According to doctors, her cancer is most likely caused from her smoking for many years. She quit when she was 43, but she smoked enough prior to then for it to effect her life in a negative way. Surely this should be a message to all those who smoke.

Lord willing, she plans to visit with her cancer doctor on Tuesday to discuss possible treatments, however she has already indicated that she may not go through with them depending on the definitive prognosis.

I am very grateful that we have a wonderful and awesome God who ultimately takes care of His children according to His will and His glory. I pray that it might be His will for her life to be extended and that she not have to experience any pain and suffering, regardless of what fate lies ahead for her. I pray for her family to have peace and comfort as they in turn give Joy the comfort of their love.

Please pray for Joy and her family.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sonnie, I am so sorry to hear about your friend and co-worker. I will keep her in my prayers and hope of a full recovery. God bless.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sonnie, this is sad news indeed. I pray that God is with her and keeps the discomfort away and Lord willing heals her from this.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Sorry to hear that news ...we have to be strong and prepared for any outcome.

We'll pray for her and her family and friends.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Often, our coworkers are the one we are closest to.

My hopes and prayers go out to Joy and her family and friends.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About a month ago Joy came by the office to visit with me and we talked about her coming back to work. The chemo had diminished all but one tiny spot that the doctors were hopeful to get with a couple of treatments. She was in very good spirits... had been feeling good and was very excited at the prospects of coming back to work.

This morning a friend and myself went to visit Joy at her home. She lie in her bed, in a near comatose state, staring into air, gasping for breath. Sadly, Joy took her last breath at 11:08 am this day. Praise God... she is in a better place awaiting the resurrection of the saints... no more pain and suffering for her. However, the pain and suffering does remain with her mourning family. Please pray for peace and comfort for her family.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Its times like this that I remember a song by Michael W. Smith "I hear Leesha"

Seems like it was only yesterday
She was living here
Yea, she was living here
Lord knows why He's taken her away
It isn't very clear, no it isn't very clear
Into every life a little rain must fall
And losing one you love is like a storm
But storms are passing
Chorus:
I hear Leesha
Singing in heaven tonight
And in between the sadness
I hear Leesha
Telling me that she's alright
Life goes on even after life
That's what I believe
Yea, that's what I believe
Leesha's gone, but she will still survive
In a memory that I'm keeping here with me
Silencing the voice of mortal tragedy
Listening to whispers of the soul
All is peaceful
Chorus:

My prayers go out to the family during this time of loss.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Good thoughts and prayers to your friend, her family and friends.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
God bless her and her family. She is at peace now and in a better place....

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and sister..
May God be with her..
Her family's hope is that she shall be with them again in the resurrection..

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Sonnie,

Sorry to hear about this hard news (I've had several close friends loose their battle with cancer, and some still dealing with it). My prayers go out to her, her family, and all those that have to deal with such a difficult ailment.

Ray

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about Joy Sonnie. I will keep her family in my prayers.

About two and a half months ago, my grandpa was diagnosed with lung cancer also. The doctors thought it had started out as Pneumonia, but a more in depth test showed that it was indeed lung cancer. He had smoked for 50 years or so also, so that didn't help matters any. As he was in the hospital, he said that he hated himself for smoking. I will NEVER smoke, and I hope everyone can stop before anything happens.
Two months later, my grandfather passed away in his sleep. He was a great man, and hadn't retired even though he was 70 years old, and had plenty of funds. He just didn't like sitting around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts