Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading around, and I guess i should start planning for it sooner than later, I want to get a pre-amp for the towers. I think I should, but have no clue of where to start.

Furthermore, I was thinking of getting a more powerful pair of towers...but I really love my Polks now. Is 150watts enough power handling? Currently my Onkyo only outputs 140 at .05THD, but 160 at .07THD. and 180 at .1THD

So, I dont know...what is my first move?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I want to get a pre-amp for the towers. I think I should, but have no clue of where to start.

I was thinking of getting a more powerful pair of towers...but I really love my Polks now. Is 150watts enough power handling? Currently my Onkyo only outputs 140 at .05THD, but 160 at .07THD. and 180 at .1THD

...what is my first move?
I'm not sure but I think you're a little confused :duck:

Are you looking for something to power your fronts (Polk's) instead of the 876???...if that the case, you're looking for an external amp (pro-amp maybe), your 876 can serve as pre-amp in any set up, it will process the signal and then using the pre-outs it will send the signal to the respective speaker/amp.

If a speaker is rated 150RMS it will serve you good, specially if you like the sound, I'm sure it can handle a little more than that if you don't get crazy....you can use an amp rated 200 RMS without problems (I've seen post where people is using 400 RMS to power speakers rated to 250) :yes:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you indeed do have the Onkyo 876 you dont have any reason to add any external amplification. Your Polks cant even truly handle what the amp can throw at it right now. How loud do you run your system right now because the Polks should have no issue with running @ refference levels just with the receiver. I would invest in a different pair of speakers before doing any other upgrades.

What sub are you using and do you have the crossover set right for your mains?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts