Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not the best woodworking butcher person so I was thinking about getting some prebuilt speaker cabinets. Mine are currently bookshelf with about 1 cu ft of interior volume. I got to looking at them and there is just too much touch-up work that needs to be done, not to mention finishing. I am aware that partsexpress has some good prebuilt bookshelf speakers. But the towers at madisound caught my eye and I am not sure of their quality, and at that cost, they are more $$$ than the PE's with stands. Best case scenario for me is tower speakers, but I will settle for bookshelf plus stands. Does anyone know of other options out there, especially for power speakers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Another place I know that sells pre-built speaker shells is Zalytron. My understanding is that they are double walled -- i.e., they use two sheets of 3/4" MDF. I don't know how much the do to pretty them up (e.g., painting).

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm not the best woodworking butcher person so I was thinking about getting some prebuilt speaker cabinets. Mine are currently bookshelf with about 1 cu ft of interior volume. I got to looking at them and there is just too much touch-up work that needs to be done, not to mention finishing. I am aware that partsexpress has some good prebuilt bookshelf speakers. But the towers at madisound caught my eye and I am not sure of their quality, and at that cost, they are more $$$ than the PE's with stands. Best case scenario for me is tower speakers, but I will settle for bookshelf plus stands. Does anyone know of other options out there, especially for power speakers?

Thanks.
I'd suggest you look at local cabinet builders. You get a more custom response and cut the cost on shipping.

Or just get the ones from parts express. Alignment can be shaped with an Behringer DCX or BFD pretty easily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I saw that. Too bad its out of stock now. I'm not sure if the baffle comes pre-cut either. I'm going to give zalytron a call, but I'm guessing they want more than madisound. The partsexpress boxes and some nice stands are looking like a better route all the time. If I ever decide that I want to use my speakers on a bookshelf or something it would be a pain to cut down the towers, but I will always have those stands.

Thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
What type of cabinets are you looking to get? I actually build cabinets and I build to spec. If you think that's something you might be interested in PM me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I'll give you my 3 cents worth...
The Black speaker in my avatar is a Modula MTM, the cabinet is from PE and is nice for the price...however, these cabinets come from Pakistan if I recall correctly and the MDF smells rather toxic. In other words there is a lot of chemicals in these compared with the MDF you get from Lowes or HD.
Had I known that Zalytron makes theirs with 2 layers of MDF, I would have bought from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts