Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Precision Port Quandry

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JCD 
#1 ·
A friend and I are building a new set of speakers from scratch. It's a ported MTM design. To maximize the performance we decided to go with the flared Precision Ports.

Here's where the quandry pops up -- when I calculated the port length, it came up with 4.45".

The instructions for the port say

1. Calculate length of port needed
  2. Determine proper speaker & port placement before cutting any holes. The Precision Port should be placed at least one port diameter away from any inside walls, if possible.
  3. Trim center tube to 5" shorter than the calculated length.
  4. The Precision Port should be 1" longer than Lv when assembled.

Well, the problem is that 4.45-5 = -0.55. Unless we're getting into some metaphyscial discussions, we've got a problem.. what can we do? Just use regular 3" PVC pipe instead of the flared ports already purchased? Or will having a port an extra 0.55" longer matter? :mooooh::gah:

See less See more
#3 ·
4. The Precision Port should be 1" longer than Lv when assembled.
The last part here is a general purpose fudge factor. It should be pretty close for most circumstances though. Do the modeling, and see what difference a 1/2" difference in port length makes. My experience is that there are usually unaccounted for losses between the model and the actual article, and that a little longer port helps to make up for those anyway.
As zero said, I doubt there will be any significant difference between the two.

#7 ·
Yeah, I was being a little too much of a ninny.. plugging the values into WinISD ended up with two curves that were pretty close to identical. I think there might have been a 1hz difference in where it started to roll off and where it ended..

Like I said, just being a ninny.. :doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.