Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read the threads that deal with this interface, I'm still unsure how to get this thing calibrated.

Could someone tell me if things look ok in the config based on this picture:

I have the channel 1 out looped back to the channel 1 in but the software doesnt seem to be seeing any input. Thanks for the help!
Doug

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Difficult to say - without seeing the Windows mixer settings, can't tell what the default is set up as. Are there inputs available for selection in REW? Does the Presonus have its own mixer app?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Firestudio has it's own mixer. It has a very capable (read: complicated and difficult to manage) routing capability where nearly any input or DAW out can be routed anywhere else.

The integrated soundcard is disabled and AFAIK i've never used the Windows mixer since I installed the Firestudio.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
DigDoug,
Sorry to get off track a bit ,but I'm getting ready to get one of the Presonus's myself. How do you like it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can only speak for Windows XP. I would say that Presonus is a really amazing prosumer-level hardware manufacturer. The Firestudio was far and away my first choice for an 8+ analog-in interface at that price point. It sounds great for what it is and is very durable.

That said, I am not in love with Presonus as a software development entity. Check out the forums for an inkling of the "challenges" folks have with driver updates etc. I've got my own nightmare war stories with driver upgrade. I guess the best advice I can give is, buy it, get it working and LEAVE IT ALONE.

Oh and as I mentioned above, the mixer is amazingly capable. I haven't really devoted enough time to truly understanding it, but I can see it opens up worlds in terms of monitoring set ups etc. In fact, this was one of the reasons I bought it.

Eventually, i'll go for proper converters (Lavry?) and build my preamp collection, and i'll likely keep the Firestudion for it's 8 respectable pres. Maybe for mobile use or something.

Ok, I shared, now can you tell me how to make it work with REW! ;)
Doug

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Having read the threads that deal with this interface, I'm still unsure how to get this thing calibrated.

Could someone tell me if things look ok in the config based on this picture:

I have the channel 1 out looped back to the channel 1 in but the software doesnt seem to be seeing any input. Thanks for the help!
Doug
In my DAW the first input and output are the left, not the right. Assuming your mixer is configured to a default kind of routing, yours might well be too.

Fran

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The Firestudio has it's own mixer. It has a very capable (read: complicated and difficult to manage) routing capability where nearly any input or DAW out can be routed anywhere else.

The integrated soundcard is disabled and AFAIK i've never used the Windows mixer since I installed the Firestudio.
The WDM drivers will feed through the Windows mixer. As long as you have default input and default output selected, those defaults are the ones that are configured in the Windows mixer.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can only speak for Windows XP. I would say that Presonus is a really amazing prosumer-level hardware manufacturer. The Firestudio was far and away my first choice for an 8+ analog-in interface at that price point. It sounds great for what it is and is very durable.

That said, I am not in love with Presonus as a software development entity. Check out the forums for an inkling of the "challenges" folks have with driver updates etc. I've got my own nightmare war stories with driver upgrade. I guess the best advice I can give is, buy it, get it working and LEAVE IT ALONE.

Oh and as I mentioned above, the mixer is amazingly capable. I haven't really devoted enough time to truly understanding it, but I can see it opens up worlds in terms of monitoring set ups etc. In fact, this was one of the reasons I bought it.

Eventually, i'll go for proper converters (Lavry?) and build my preamp collection, and i'll likely keep the Firestudion for it's 8 respectable pres. Maybe for mobile use or something.

Ok, I shared, now can you tell me how to make it work with REW! ;)
Doug

Thanks for the response. I'm looking at one for a simple project studio, so I'll most likely set it and forget it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger there. I was excited about the REW too. I tried for longer than I care to admit to get REW to read the PreSonus interface - no way, as far as I can manage. I did manage to get what looked like some decent mic/meter graphs though. ARC room EQ acts as a plug-in in your DAW...it's supposed to work with most software, but it's certainly not a freebie. I'm fairly convinced that the little KRK v6 monitors I'm using deliver a fairly flat response to what I record. Soooo, as is always the case for players, it's more a matter of what YOU put into the thing, otherwise you're beating a dead horse when it comes to what's coming out. The gents in this site are dead serious about their audio tho - I love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts