Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I should be getting everything in the mail today to finally start working on getting measurements in my room. I have an XP box and a presonus FP10 as well as the Dayton EMM-6. I tried using REW a few months back on a standard sound card and the calibration between the input and output was easy enough, but I wasn't sure how to go about it with the FP10.

Just wondering if there were any suggestions. I Googled around for REW and PreSonus without much of an answer.

Thank you guys!

Edit: Whoops, looks like I posted in the wrong forum :( Sorry, Admins, cans you move this for me?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Why wouldn't you calibrate having a mic preamp in the loop? I do. It seems to make the most sense to me since you'll be using the mic xlr input for the real measurements anyway. Why would you calibrate to an input that you aren't using for the measurements anyway?

·
Super Moderator
9,283 Posts

There's a lenghty thread about this somewhere, but it's because the mic pre amp expects an extremely low-level signal. Give it a line-level signal and the gain setting on the mixer will be working at its lowest settings. What you’ll probably find is that will make things so sensitive that the slightest adjustment will send REW’s meters from too low to off-the-charts. IOW, it’s difficult to get a clalibration.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
It can be done if a suitable attenuator is put in the path, but that takes it out of the realm the majority of users would be comfortable with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to report back ;)

Hooked it up the way you said, found my onboard sound card to be pretty worthless (looked horrid on the self cal). Pulled out a spare I had (HT Omega Striker) and looked much better. Took me a little while to figure out the feedback issue I was getting after that (Line In Monitoring was turned on, just had to mute it in Windows on the output settings).

Doing a bunch of tests between acoustic treatments and subwoofer positioning right now ;) Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There's a lenghty thread about this somewhere, but it's because the mic pre amp expects an extremely low-level signal. Give it a line-level signal and the gain setting on the mixer will be working at its lowest settings. What you’ll probably find is that will make things so sensitive that the slightest adjustment will send REW’s meters from too low to off-the-charts. IOW, it’s difficult to get a clalibration.

Regards,
Wayne
I haven't had any problems yet. The signal is very hot into the mic input but between the REW output level control and the input gain controls built on most units having a phantom powered microphone input it should be workable. It is a little more effort than a straight loop through.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Just wanted to report back ;)

Hooked it up the way you said, found my onboard sound card to be pretty worthless (looked horrid on the self cal). Pulled out a spare I had (HT Omega Striker) and looked much better. Took me a little while to figure out the feedback issue I was getting after that (Line In Monitoring was turned on, just had to mute it in Windows on the output settings).

Doing a bunch of tests between acoustic treatments and subwoofer positioning right now ;) Thank you for the help.
So you gave up on getting the Presonus to work? I'm trying to get a Firestudio Mobile to play nice and having some trouble is why I ask.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts