Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts
G

·
Are folks aware of any new developments here? Has anyone had Mitsubishi extend warranty, facilitate a repair or other compromise?

I also have a failed WD-52525 that exhibits these exact same problems taking up a chunk of space in the garage.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have had Mits cover part of the repair for several clients. The rebuild process for the chassis appears to be pretty extensive with respect to the caps replaced as well as the testing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I shot off an email to Mitsubishi today and received a reply directing me to the 800 customer care department. They stated that I need to fax them the diagnosis and repair estimate along with the sales receipt for proof of purchase before they would tell me if they would assist me. Luckly, I have a local repair shop that can diagnose the problem for $60. The technician stated that with a 4 yr old TV the chances of Mitsubishi assisting with the repairs is pretty low. Oh well, I have to try.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your servicer has not worked with Mitsubishi much on these matters. It is possible they don't want to. When manufacturers extend warranties, the servicer generally makes no profit on the parts at all and often loses money on the labor. In this case, Mitsubishi has, in many cases, covered the rebuild, but not the labor and service calls to pull and reinstall the chassis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am interested in getting the problem diagnosed, the estimate completed and then forward it to Mitsubishi to see how they respond. I will do everything that they request in order for them to make a decision. That way I will be able to decide on what to do with this 52 inch paper weight. I won't have to re-tell the story to everyone that walks in my house and sees the non-working TV sitting in the corner.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Keep us posted on the progress.

G

·
I have just experienced the same problems with my 52525. Picture turned blue and eventually went away or is scrambled. Now red "lamp" light is on. Have tried 2 different new lamps unsuccessfully. I have noticed a few people discussing class action lawsuits, does anyone know the latest on that front?
Jeff

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Class action for what? Mitsubishi is repairing 4 year old sets below their cost, and in many cases covering a significant part of the repair. Class action in these kinds of cases usually ends up doing nothing but wasting time and resources.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeff - The phone number for Mitsubishi Customer Support is 1-800-332-2119.
They will ask for your information, and tell you that the problem needs to be diagnosed, and an estimate for repair completed before they will make a decision. GL

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just received the diagnosis and the estimate for repairs. It was the optical assembly (light engine) that failed and it will cost $867 to repair. I am sending the information to Mitsubishi as they requested today so they can decide what they will do.

Also, I found the purchase receipt and I bought it on February 2, 2005 - a couple days before the pepethechamp..... Maybe it was a bad supply of parts which have failed??

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
How did the servicer diagnose a bad optical engine?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Yes. While it is difficult to determine much from your description, my experience is that it is far more likley to be chassis related. Even if the light engine is the problem, fixing it without rebuilding the light engine seems silly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like on the invoice - they replaced 2 caps, 3300uF 10v, error code 37 occurs, needs DMD(optical assembly)

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
37 is a DMD or Lamp fan stop. If they replaced any caps at all, the chassis should be rebuilt before assuming the engine is bad. You need to discuss this with Mitsubishi and suggest that they take a different approach. Your servicer seems clueless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How should I handle the shop? Should I ask them how they determined it was the engine? I don't want to send the dx to Mitsu and have them tell me "sorry, can't help" if the issue is truly the chassis.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Send it to Mitsubishi with a note that says that you have been told that this diagnosis is suspect by another ASC and that they should have their people review the diagnosis with the servicer. If the set does indeed have a bad light engine, and they fix it, it is also likely to have chassis problems later. More likely, the cost of the light engine and labor to replace it may be wasted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leonard - have you seen the light engine fail without chassis issues? Here is what I am sending today:

Here is the purchase receipt along with the diagnosis and repair cost for my WD-52525.

I have been told that the diagnosis is suspect by another ASC and I would like you to review it with the people at Audio Video Service. Because they had to replace 2 caps, I want to make sure that the chassis does not have to be rebuilt before assuming the light engine is bad.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Of course the light engine can fail without the chassis failing. What I have said is that it is more likely to be a chassis problem, and even if the light engine is bad, with the history of this chassis and the fact that they already found bad caps, it is foolish to fix the set without rebilding the chassis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I got the call from Mitsu telling me that they would pay $220 of the $867 repair bill. They said that since it was out of the 3 year warranty this was the best they could do. They had all 3 of my phone numbers and they call my home and leave a message on the machine.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts