Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm creating a home theater setup and am now unsure of which route I should take. I bought a Crown XTi 1000 in order to power a sub. I realized after the line level inputs were unmatched because of the consumer/pro audio different in voltage. Therefore, I bought a Art Cleanbox to convert the signal. I used the preamp main out on my receiver and connected that to the ART box then the XLRs on the box to the Crown Amp. Before building a sub, I tested the setup out with my car sub, a 4 ohm kenwood exelon 600 watt rms sub, and when I connected it bridged, I'm not getting much volume out of it. I have to get close to feel the impact. Also, the amplifier clips very easily. I then tried to run the sub on one channel and it seems like it's getting more power. There's a lot of excursion but it gets nowhere near as loud as it does when my kicker 500 watt amp drives it in my car. (I tested it out in a smaller sized room so it shouldn't be that much different in volume) Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem may be or what I should be doing in order to properly run a Pro amp for a home theater sub? I feel like just buying the polk psw505 discounted on newegg because I'm afraid if I build a sub and it sounds like this I will have wasted more time and money. Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi Lenny and welcome.

Was the Kenwood sub in a box at the time of test and wired for 4Ω? If so, how big a box and which exact driver is yours (model # and link please)? A small room is still typically many times the volume of a vehicle so cabin gain vs room gain could make a big difference here.

Which driver are you intending to use in your HT?

Sorry to ask questions, but it's easier to diagnose that way as I'm not there.

·
Super Moderator
9,289 Posts

This amp has a 1.4 V input sensitivity rating, so there’s a good chance you didn’t even need the clean box. Most receiver’s sub outputs should be able to deliver that.

What kind of input signal was the front panel meters showing? If you weren’t getting enough signal with the amp’s gains all the way u, the clean box should have been used to increase the input level. I assume you were using the correct input and gain control that the manual indicates for bridging?

This amp has all kinds of on-board equalization, high and low pass filters ,speaker crossover settings, limiting, etc. If all else fails, I’ll bet you’ll find your answer somewhere in there.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Also even though it's a small room a car cabin is going to give a much more powerful boost as you are basically sitting inside a bandpass enclosure with a sub inside a car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sub I tested is a Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XW1222D. My friend built the enclosure for me, ported and tuned to 29 Hz (1.5 ft^3 enclosure). I actually first tested the amp on my Polk audio home speaker towers and with the gain almost all the way up I knew something wasn't right. It wasn't playing that loud. My Yamaha home theater receiver plays the speakers much louder with 100 watts/channel 20Hz-20kHz. So, I researched the issue and bought the that cleanbox, which fixed listening to music. But, only yesterday did I test the amp on my sub and found that I now have a problem with that. I read on here that the Cleanbox cuts the low frequency out so I'm thinking that's the problem. I have gone through the DPS settings and I believe I have everything set properly. The company is exchanging it for the Crown XLS Drivecore series because that already has RCA inputs built in so I won't have to worry about a converter. Do you think the XLS 1000 will have enough power (1,100 watts at 4 ohms bridged) I know for a home theater sub that would be a lot but I'm not sure how they rate Pro Audio amps. I know ratings at 1 KHz aren't the same as 20Hz-20KHz... I'm not sure how 1,100 watts (the power rating of the pro amp bridged) would compare to a rating on a typical home sub...if it would be equivalent or less. The company told me to let them know. I'm debating between the XLS 1000 and XLS 1500. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have played around around with Crown XTi stuff and was not impressed. The bottom drops out of the amp fast. Is has a switch-mode power supply, not sure if that is the difference. I suggest upgrading.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh really...what would you suggest getting? My budget would be around 300-400. I liked the Crown XLS/XTi because of the onboard DSP. I'm not sure how else to hook up a sub to home theater with another amp without a crossover and RCA inputs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking it's probably best to go with the Dayton 1000 watt rack amp specifically designed for a home theater sub

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
There are a lot of guys on this forum that use the Behringer EP2500 with success.
I have the Crown XLS 802 and I had the Dayton amp before it.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts