Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Problem with measurement via HDMI

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rudy81 
#1 ·
I have always used REW with a calibrated ECM8000 mic and a Steinberg UR22MkII sending the output from the UR22 to the analog input on my AVR for the speaker being measured. That setup used Input 1 and Output 1 as loopback. Input 2 connected to the mic and output 2 connected to the analog AVR input for the appropriate speaker channel.

I wanted to be able to take measurements more easily by using ASIO on the same laptop as above and send the signal to the AVR via HDMI from the laptop. I was able to load ASIO 4 All and use the ECM8000 with the UR22 sending the signal via HDMI. The issue I have run into is that something is wrong with the time delay relative to loopback. In this setup, Input 1 and Output 1 remained as loopback. Input 2 is the mic and the laptop connected HDMI is sending the signal to the AVR.

Previously, the delays were consistent with the distances between the driver and the mic. Using the HDMI connection, the time delay is way out of what should be measured.

For example, using the original connections, I was getting delays of about 4 or 5 ms. With the Laptop connected via HDMI, I am getting delays on the order of 60ms.

Is this problem a result of the way I have the connections via the UR22? Which is the simplest way to be able to use HDMI for sending the REW signal.

The reason I have gone down this path is that I may be replacing my AVR and some of the newer options do not have analog multi-channel inputs.

See less See more
#2 ·
What I really need to ask is this. Can I use my ECM8000 and UR22 with HDMI, understanding that I will not be able to use the loopback feature I use now? As my first post indicates, I can get this to work, just not sure if I am inducing any problems with that connection method.

#3 ·
I was able to load ASIO 4 All and use the ECM8000 with the UR22 sending the signal via HDMI. The issue I have run into is that something is wrong with the time delay relative to loopback.
ASIO4ALL is not always reliable for achieving low absolute latency through an interface - if possible, one should make every attempt to obtain low-latency ASIO drivers from the manufacturer. Toward that end, here is a link for you to try:
Not sure if REW supports ASIO, but it's still good to have the driver available. It does look like your setup "factors out" the latency from the interface by using the loopback as a reference. Even so, it may help to have the best driver running for the device.

After that, you may be actually seeing the latency in the HDMI path through your AVR. Maybe check to make sure all delay compensations are off? Thinking of audio-video alignment delay, delays due to EQ left on in the AVR, etc.

Outside of those things, it may be something about base latencies due to buffering in the HDMI.

Wish you the best in sorting this out!

#4 ·
Many thanks. I'll check out the Steinberg drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.