Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with mainly dark scenes in which I get random lighter colored pixels in a column near the left side of the screen (I also get it on the right side to a lesser degree). The short horizontal streaks of bad pixels seem to occur in a fixed area of the screen, randomly occurring within a vertical "bar" area maybe a 4" or so wide from screen top to bottom. This bad vertical "bar" area is positioned roughly a third of the way from the left side of the screen.

TV is 4 years old, original bulb (3100 hours). See problem with over the air, cable, and HDMI signals. I do not have extended warranty. I suspect the problem is some of the capacitors on the boards are now out of specifications. I have most of the manuals from Mitsubishi.

Attachments

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Not sure, Ron. I'll have to do some research on that one.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Others on the AVS forum are coming forward with this problem. The problem exists on lighter scenes also, but since the offending pixels are lighter in color it is much less noticeable.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's getting worse. Seems to affect nearly every dark area now.:hissyfit:

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is it the same on all inputs, resolutions, and menus? Do you see it if you go to the test patterns in the service mode?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get the same pattern on all inputs, resolutions. Menus appear to be immune from the problem. On the test patterns in the service menu I did get the pattern on the colored (yellow) squares with a circle in them, did not have the pattern appear in any of the other test patterns.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Menus OK means that the light engine is likely not the source...unless the levels on the menus are not allowing you to see the problem, which is possible. I suspect that this is just the manifaestation of the many capacitors that are tending to fail in these sets, far beyond the initial problems with the Jamicon radial caps that we have seen swelling up. The surface mount caps, which number in the hundreds, see to be failing also. I would either cut your losses and move on to something new, or send the chassis to Mits for a rebuild (if you can confirm that the problem is not the light engine), and press Mits for some accomodation on the repair.

I will continue to look into the problem and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've moved on. Got a smaller 50" TV from another manufacturer. Will give the TV to a friend. He will have nothing to lose getting it fixed. Thanks for looking into the problem.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Nothing to lose if he can get it fixed effectively. I still have my doubts about the rebuilt chassis coming from Mits and how long they will last before other problems will arise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also was having this problem. Now I have the flashing green light and cant get the set to turn back on. Tomorrow I plan to contact a mitsu ASC to begin the chassis rebuild process. I hope that will fix both problems. Any other ideas? Could it be the light engine?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It might, but I have seen some very strange problems with the cap failures in the chassis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts