Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have an HLR5667W and a few months ago I started getting the dread green honeycombs while watching tv and pretty soon could not watch cable at all. I resorted to just watching things with my computer connected (VGA worked fine).

I found a service manual online and purchased the BP94-02084A from samsungparts. Before the replacement I used the Digital>DMD option in the service menu as well as took pictures of a following pages:OPTION, DNIe, SERVICE. pretty much the ones that looked relevant.

Then I replaced the board without incident and went back into the service menu and first used the DMD>Digital option, and then made sure the the settings in pictures matched (I had to change a few of the H and V position ones).

The TV seems to be working in general but there are a few issues that make me think I either did something wrong or missed an option somewhere.

1. The built in TV guide does not seem to work. I have cable connected to my tv without a set top box and relied on this guide for channel listings. The menus within it seem to work and it lets me configure it (zip code, a few yes/no options), but it never gets populated with a list, not even a channel list with blank listings like it used to do sometimes when I reset it in the past.

2. I seem to not be getting any HD channels anymore. I used to be able to get a number of them, such as CWHD (1-1) and FOXHD (1-5) but now these channels just come up as blank (not "scrambled or weak", just blank like they dont exist). *FIXED* by using Channel Guide

I'm not sure if these are related and it's possible that I missed an option somewhere because I didn't take a picture of every page but have not seen anything obvious, as I don't know what most of them mean.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Have you run a channel scan?

I have never been able to get the guide to work on my set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: so i totally forgot the channel scan earlier and actually remembered right after i posted (thanks for suggesting it too). I did it when I got home from work and I am now able to get the HD channels I wasn't getting. so that issue is solved!

the second (and lesser) issue is that the tv guide still doesn't work as far as I can tell. It definitely worked fine before so I'm inclined to think this is a problem I can fix with a setting or something along those lines, so still open to suggestions!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another update: the tv guide just started working on its own this morning, a few days after I did the channel scan. It finally asked me which cable provider I have and then populated the list of channels. So looks like I'm back in action!

If anyone needs the service manual for the HLRxxxW line of tvs(most places online seem to want to charge for it but after some seearching I finally found a free one) or any help with the digital board replacement procedure, feel free to PM me.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried the NJ Attorney General route but Samsung refused to acknowledge the Digital Board problem. Hence, I bought a used board from Discount Merchant. The first board made my TV worked for 3 days and then the same problem resurfaced, green squares, constant freezing and rebooting etc. My old board was worst that I could not even view any TV programs, it just froze.

I knew the digital board was the issue. I RMA-ed that used board and Discount Merchant sent me another board, this second board lasted about 2 weeks, then the freezing and green squares re-appeared. But the freezing and green square were not that frequent - I had to unplug the TV and it worked fine again for a few days.

Now I am not sure if I should RMA the second board because I am not sure if any board from Discount Merchant is really a good board, i.e. I might get a worst digit board than this one. Is that any issues other than the digital board? I am running out of time since Discount Merchant only guarantees the board for 30 days; And they will probably not RMA any more boards, saying that it could be my fault or other TV problems.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discount merchant is a recyler for things like boards. What you are getting is usually a used part. Servicers generally have come to expect that failure rates on this kind of sourcing for parts to be quite high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know if Samgsungpart sell new or used boards? I know Discount Merchant sell used boards and they could be defective boards too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pretty sure they are used or refurbed from every source (they fix broken ones sent in as a "core charge")
Just an update from me: the board I got from samsung parts 2 months ago works like a charm. I have been able to watch my tv without any issues since I fixed it and have had no sign of any more problems. Sorry to hear that others have the problem come back, but that could either mean you are having bad luck with the replacement boards, or the problem lies somewhere else in the tv. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts