Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah its over bearing mod editing for sure. There pretty much can be no opinion expressed unless its absolutely positive.

Heres one example that I was told was way to inflammatory and the mod said they will edit it accordingly.

I suggested on alot of different boards that brand b should upgrade to higher quality woofers and was called everything you could think of by the brand b guys and they really believed that there was no need for "better" drivers. Thats until brand b released this new 6.5" woofer and they go bat**** crazy over them and beg to upgrade all there speakers with them.

Also I believe you can't circumvent the language filters. Not sure how someone would be offended by *****

I feel if you want to read nothing but positive comments about everything with little to no negative comments then stay here but I feel AVS and some others give you much more insight on products. Its not perfect and there are a few that get pretty hateful but usually its the ones who get offended that they are not reading 100% positive comments about their equipment.
If anyone has edited your posts because of expression of a negative experience or view of a product, please PM the examples to me. My guess is that you were moderated because you targeted comments at an individual, unfairly bashed a vendor with generalizations rather than expressing you opinion or experience as such, or crossed the line established by the rules in some way. No one should ever be restricted for giving a negative impression of a product as long as it is not repetitive and disrespectful or in some way breaks the rules. Discuss it with me privately and we will consider your concerns.

However, if you just don't like having limits placed on how you treat others and/or don't like our rules, you can go somewhere that is more welcoming of conflict and criticism for their own sake.

Additionally, you can either show us the respect of editing your post above to remove the attempted bypass of our filters or leave it to us and be banned. We will not be bullied into changing our rules to your liking. I have opened the discussion on the matter and if you wish to participate within the spirit and letter of the rules you are welcome.

Leonard Caillouet

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I was attracted to this site because of the rules here. I started my forum journeys as many others did just looking for info about HT and in the beginning the forums I joined did help but fairly quickly I was made to feel like less than because I would be told that my questions were asked too many times before and then would be ridiculed for it. I found HTS and immediately felt at home because even though the question may have been asked many times before people here would answer me and /or direct me to a thread that would. There are some great forums on the net but IMO none are of the caliber of HTS because of the rules that we have here. I would not be apposed to some minor changes if the people that run the forum think they will encourage more traffic to the site but remember quality not quantity is why I believe most of us are here. Thanks Leonard, Keep up the good work.
Same for me as well..Totally agree..:T

·
Banned
76 Posts
So ask your self before you answer a speaker placement question. What would Jesus Christ have done ? I'm all for civility and staying on topic. I have a bad feeling when I need to act under the auspices of a religion.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So ask your self before you answer a speaker placement question. What would Jesus Christ have done ? I'm all for civility and staying on topic. I have a bad feeling when I need to act under the auspices of a religion.
No one is asking you to act any way that you don't want to. If you can't understand that a comment like that is perceived as belittling to Christians and adds nothing positive to the discussion of speaker placement, then go make that kind of statement elsewhere. It is not welcome here. I am agnostic and having grown up Catholic very cynical about religion, but to my friends here who are Christians I am sensitive enough to not want to make fun of what they believe. If you stay on topic the matter of religion should never come up. If you use the name of the Lord in vain you will be moderated here. So don't make jokes about other people's deity or prophets here. Show some respect and edit your post to be within the rules. I am certain that you can make your point without crossing the line.

Respect for others is what makes this place different. It seems as though just opening up the discussion has tempted some to want to push the limits of the rules. Don't test further. The rules stand as they are.

Leonard

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Seriously! Grow up

The language rules are in place simply because it makes this forum much more civilized. It has nothing to do with religion or faith.
If you worked in higher end retail or business you would not be allowed to speak that way and there should be no reason that it has to change here.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I am also a fan of this site because of the forum rules. I like reading objective posts that are thought out and any debate is hashed out in a mindful polite manner.

I like the place because it has a air of professionalism and respect that is afforded to everyone; regardless of their skill or experience with the subject matter presented here.

In real life, I can't get through a sentence without making a trucker blush I'm also a devout atheist, those things have absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment or learnings from this site. Be good to others and they'll be good to you. The shear amount of knowledge I sucked up from the people that frequent this site is staggering and for that I'm grateful.

I don't post much at all. Mostly a quip here or there but I'm here reading sometimes up to four times a day checking all the new posts.
I feel like I know you all... muhahaha!!!
Someday I'll have a build thread and I'm nominating Tony to help rew my room.

Now am I eligible for a contest? :)

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Inflammatory posts by istvan and others demonstrate clearly that violating the language rules adds no substantial content to their posts.
Further, we are not asking that you act in a religious way! We are simply asking that you be civil and courteous with a respect for other peoples opinions. By doing so you can expect the same in return.

Other moderators have disclosed that they are not religious by nature and neither am I.
However, I defend and respect everyone's beliefs fully so that they are not discriminated against here or elsewhere.
Finally, If you enjoy the disharmony and bullying of other forums then take your fight there.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I've hardly ever deleted entire posts, but was recently forced when the other party strongly attacked a certain group of hobbyists. Even then, the posts remained intact until I was sure of the correct course of action. With each action taken, I gain confidence in both recognizing and correcting poor behavior. I make no excuses and offer no apologies
I disagree that any party was attacked in that thread.
When the words were written there was no malice in (at least one of) the author's intent.
Obviously you and Leonard felt differently when you read the words and deleted the posts.
While I do not always agree with the moderators decisions I still like this forum and overall I think the mods do a good job.

I do not know what the underlying issues are with declining participation but I really doubt that it is because of the way the forum is moderated.
Bulk traffic is generated by new people asking for help.
How could the way the forum is moderated be affecting the number of new members joining since the moderation style would be completely unknown to them ?

If a person joins and later decides the moderation style does not fit their personality that falls into the category of 'it is what it is'
Everyone is free to stay or move on.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I disagree that any party was attacked in that thread.
When the words were written there was no malice in (at least one of) the author's intent.
Obviously you and Leonard felt differently when you read the words and deleted the posts.
While I do not always agree with the moderators decisions I still like this forum and overall I think the mods do a good job.

I do not know what the underlying issues are with declining participation but I really doubt that it is because of the way the forum is moderated.
Bulk traffic is generated by new people asking for help.
How could the way the forum is moderated be affecting the number of new members joining since the moderation style would be completely unknown to them ?

If a person joins and later decides the moderation style does not fit their personality that falls into the category of 'it is what it is'
Everyone is free to stay or move on.
You are correct, there appears to be other mitigating factors in the participation rate declining here at HTS.

The language rules never seemed to be a big deal in the past! I have many pm's saying that they prefer this forum purely for that reason alone, and in my years of moderation I have had only a few question it.

I hope this forum can move forward, whilst retaining it's integrity, as a place of friendship and knowledge for like minded people of whatever political/religious/ethnic denominations and faiths.

·
Banned
76 Posts
A sense of humour helps as well. I guess pictures of Mohammed are out too. Unless your name is Mohammed and you have a picture of yourself as your avatar. Members that have the name Jesus can be problematical.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I started this thread to discuss whether any changes to our rules should be considered as we attempt to revitalize Home Theater Shack. Unfortunately, two users have chosen to use the thread in ways that are not within those rules rather than taking the opportunity to articulate their points in a manner that is on topic and respectful.

My conclusion is that yes, we have lost, and sent away, some users because of our very strict rules. I do not think it is the major cause of the drop in traffic in the last year, however. I also think that the distractions from the topic that are demonstrated by these two users in this very thread make the case very clearly for why we should NOT change our rules at all. Sure, the snark and the noise might attract some readers like rubberneckers to an auto accident, but they detract from attempts to have meaningful discussion.

As I said to one of them in the banning message...Je Suis Charlie, just not here.

I have a son overseas doing his part to protect the right of people to say what they think about religion or to swear in whatever way they choose. He is also protecting our right to maintain a discussion forum with meaningful posts and the rights of all to practice whatever religion they choose as long as they stay within our laws and do not infringe upon the rights of others. The religion that we all choose to practice at HTS is civility with respect. What we realize is that our rights to freedom of speech and freedom of religion does not mean that we have the right to say anything we want just anywhere, and there is also more value in respecting others than in making fun of them.

I make no apologies for who we are here, in fact I am proud of it, and I make no apologies for removing those that don't get it.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I make no apologies for who we are here, in fact I am proud of it, and I make no apologies for removing those that don't get it.
Thank you, Well said.:T

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I stay because I like the site... it is very slow though. Too slow.

I get annoyed because I cannot say simple words even though they might take the meaning of other words.. .. but I deal with it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1, Thank you!

The first on one was offensive, the second proved he didn't care, the third one was just thumbing his nose at you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
In Saudi Arabia they behead those that Blaspheme.
This is off topic and contributes nothing to the thread. Since you are new here, we will show some patience and attempt to educate you about our rules. Please read the thread, particularly the first post, and see that we welcome anyone who can articulate an idea in a mature and respectful manner. Note later in the thread how some have tested our tolerance for breaking those rules and appear to be taunting us. We really are not interested in those who would make a scene for their own gratification. We are interested in those who will contribute to making the community here stronger and more interesting. I am sure you will get it and are an intelligent person who has something to contribute to the topic of the thread and the forum in general. We promise to do our best to protect you from rouge posters like those above who just show up to cause controversy. When you have a question or some information to share, we will no more tolerate them making fun of your ideas or condescending to you than we would tolerate them using your name in a disrespectful manner.

Welcome, Jesus.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What kind of foul language is being used on AVS or other Audio Video forums that is prohibited here? Seriously ... I cant recall ever seeing anything over the top.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts