Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently gathering materials to build 2 18" Sonosubs for my rec room. The only things that I have so far is a 12' piece of 24" sonotube and a couple Behringer ep2500's (assuming that I would just use a single one), but i'm anxious to jump into this. I currently am running an 18" ED sub in a large, sealed box, being pushed by a Dayton sa1000 but i'm not getting the output and lows like I would like.

The 2 sonosubs would be used primarily for movies, with a very small percentage of the time for music (miniscule really). I do not have the dimensions of the room, but I know it's not ideal. It's around 15' across and the length has to be around 30 feet with the seating area around 12' out form the fronts.

After researching on here, i've been looking at the Fi-SSD's for the subs, but am open to suggestions. They seem to be priced very reasonable and have only heard good things.

I grabbed the sonosub program and have winisd, but I have a hard time understanding the modeling correctly and would appreciate any guidance that you have. As far as the height of the subs for the volume, they can be up to 6 feet each (or whatever the real usable space that is left after cutting the 12' section into 2 sections for use.

As for budget, but i'm trying to keep the drivers under $600 for the pair if possible. This can possibly change and delay the build a bit while I save some $$ for better drivers. I believe most of the other expensive items have been purchased.

Looking forward to replies :)

Thanks,
Josh

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
If you're looking for low end extension for movies then the SSD's work well in 15 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz with a 8" diameter round port. Each driver would handle 1000 watts down to 14 hz or so. Here's the WinISD project file.

View attachment Fi SSD 18 ported.wpr

Here are the sonotube dimensions.

Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're looking for low end extension for movies then the SSD's work well in 15 cu.ft. tuned to 15 hz with a 8" diameter round port. Each driver would handle 1000 watts down to 14 hz or so. Here's the WinISD project file.
Thank you soo much for the feedback, that sounds about exactly what I want :) I will build my enclosure to those specs. Will I need to get a filter for this setup?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Max excursion is reached at about 13.5hz so you should not require one but remember alot of films for example have content well below 20hz so you may need to add one but I would see how you go without one first.

Models really well though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max excursion is reached at about 13.5hz so you should not require one but remember alot of films for example have content well below 20hz so you may need to add one but I would see how you go without one first.

Models really well though.
Perfect, just the answer I was hoping for :) Thank you!!

It will probably be awhile before I update this unless someone comments back, but I will post construction pictures showing it in stages.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
Would this work being under a floor and having a 90 degree bend on the port end and also the speaker end?

I was thinking of making one run parallel to the floor and the =n 90 degrees up through the floor boards.

What do ya think?

·
Premium Member
5,822 Posts
If you mean build a box in between the floor joists then yes, it will work.
Yup... I might have to try this myself when I sell some more stuff. I have a nice size floor space to work with.

thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup... I might have to try this myself when I sell some more stuff. I have a nice size floor space to work with.

thanks for the reply.
That sounds like a pretty cool setup, please be sure to post pics when it's done.

I was getting a bit excited as my local Menards just received my 12' long 24" wide sonotube via email...only to get a call from them telling me that about 2 feet from the end there was a gash that went all the way through into the inside :hissyfit:

Oh well, I still haven't ordered my drivers yet, so I guess it shouldn't have been to bad to hear, i'm just anxious to do this lol. Will update when more progress is made

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, not too much has happened with this build yet. So far, my 24" sonotube has been damaged in transit twice to Menards, bah. Anyway, I will be able to begin building one as the damage was low enough that I can build one with what I have available from the undamaged section.

I do have one quick, and probably silly, question: how long should the spacers be that go between the base that sits on the floor and the sub itself? I went looking around but haven't found that answer. I know there is an option in the Sonosub program for it, but don't know what the minimum is. I think i've decided that i'm going to find some black ash veneer to cover it and then some billet aluminum spacers to connect the wood together.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very slow progress, need to order my drivers soon (just need to collect some more funds lol, anyone interested in my current eD 18", sealed box and Dayton SA1000 amp?)

Here are a few pics of nothing much lol, just showing how big the tube is, I have two the size of the one standing up now. I will also have an extra 12' long 24" wide sonotube if someone needs some in the NWI/Chicago area :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ooh boy, this sounds like fun! Subscribed... I will have to keep an eye on your build as it comes along. I am curious about sonotube builds, though I think my preference would still be a good ole fashioned box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very big pipe
Haha, yea.

I ordered my FI.SSD 18's a little over a week ago, so i'm waiting on them to come in. Now i'm trying to decide what to use for my wood. I was originally going to go with MDF, but now i'm thinking about using some 3/4" baltic birch plywood for it. This way I have something fairly solid to mount it to as i've had enough issues with MDF in the past. I'll probably just stain the plywood a nice dark color and get some edging for it.

Does anyone know where I can get some nice black ash veneer (or whatever veneer that I can stain black) that will fit this? I need something at least 6'x6.5'. I've found 4'x8', but this would require 2 pieces and i'm not too sure how that would look or work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, i'm looking into the stuffing/lining for this. I've read varying thoughts, but do I need to line the tube with egg crate style foam or throw pillow stuffing in it?

Thanks,
Josh

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.