Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the scope of the project has change and I will be building one Maelstrom-x and 2 more after this one is done. So the new box design is going to go into the built in area where the TV is now. Should be good for total of 12.5 CU Ft of space.

This the design. Port on the right side is a fake one, doing this for looks.

Here are some pics of the process. I have so far got all the cuts I need to get the box going which begins tomorrow. I have a jig or two I will need to assemble as well for some of the bracing. Should be fun :).

more sawdust, splinters, and pics to follow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Project Affinity - Tiple maelstrom-x Build

It looks great.... do you have a CNC to cut all the parts?

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
I wish I did. I will be cutting them all out myself and using a variety of tools and techniques. I should be picking up the wood I need today. 16 sheets of Baltic birch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Scott just dropped off one of the maelstrom-x and we picked up 12 sheets of baltic birch 4x8. that is one beefy sub. Nice kevin! :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

Scott just dropped off one of the maelstrom-x and we picked up 12 sheets of baltic birch 4x8. that is one beefy sub. Nice kevin! :D
Yea.... I just unloaded a container of the 21"s, 15"s, & 12"s and my back is killing me. I need to switch to some small Neo motors or hire some college kids.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yea.... I just unloaded a container of the 21"s, 15"s, & 12"s and my back is killing me. I need to switch to some small Neo motors or hire some college kids.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
you wearing a back brace? Oh new speakers :D so when do we get to see the final stats on them :D

I'll work for subs :)

I would to :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts

:-O

unload all of those palets there and bring them here. when youre done, take a 21" on your way out. thanks.

The container comes stuffed with boxes, no pallets. So the work is that you have to handle every box, palletize them, wrap them and find a place for them in the warehouse.

I think it was a little over 12,000lbs of boxes so that is a lot of lifting, moving and wrapping.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The container comes stuffed with boxes, no pallets. So the work is that you have to handle every box, palletize them, wrap them and find a place for them in the warehouse.

I think it was a little over 12,000lbs of boxes so that is a lot of lifting, moving and wrapping.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
:yikes: sounds like a good work out :p

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Subscribed. Looks like a challenging enclosure project. Make sure you post lots of pics along the way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subscribed. Looks like a challenging enclosure project. Make sure you post lots of pics along the way.
I will, I have a habbit of making it more difficult for myself, but I got a couple of extra tools to make it easier this time around.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
and as for Neo???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am thinking I can be over meticulous checking measurements so many times. I am going to be routing the inside walls to counter sink some of the bracing. I need to get make a brace to hold things in line to make sure its exactly the same tract all the way around. Fun times :).

For now I must run off to attend a wedding. Maybe I will get some of it down when I return if not tomorrow for sure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got a lot more pictures of the build in progress. I order to get the nice groves I needed, I decided to build a guide into my table saw. Nice and simple solution to make sure everything remains straight.

The guide additions to my table saw are two extensions and an aluminum straight edge.

So the front baffle has 2 rectangular ports in it. Instead of routing out or using a jig saw to cut the ports out I opted for plan c. As you can see from the stack of small pieces of wood I will assemble the port for a nice and perfect rectangle.

With a stop put in place, I routed some more of my grooves to be used for the bracing.

Time to route the inner back piece.

Had to clamp my fence down since I was outside the track

End result

Now for the side pieces. This will be the vertical groove. But first, testing on some scrap piece of wood.

8 7/8" was my target. I think I nailed that one pretty close.

yup, on target.

Next on my list to do.
I have the bottom of the box to time the edges off tomorrow.
Angle cut the parts that are going to join up on the front part at a nice 22.5 so I can use my Pocket hole joiner.
Start assembly of the innerbox.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts