Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a total newbie to projectors and screens. I got very cool all in one projector for my birthday and then realized it didn't have lens shift on it nor was it 1080p so we exchanged it for the Epson 8350 so we can use it at an angle.

The room that its going in is large. It's 24' x 24'. The seating is currently 20' away from the wall which I want to use as a screen until I get a screen.

The questions are.

Should I keep the Epson 8350 22' away (depth of projector takes out a foot +) from the screen and mount it in the room's corner?
If so, what screen size would be best?

Should I put the projector on a small cart and roll it out when in use?
If so, how far away should I keep it (it will be at an angle either way)

So in general, what size screen should I be using and how far should the projector be away?

I can go from 10' to 22' away, will be using it at an angle.

So recap:
What screen size?
How far away?
Any brand recommendations / site recommendations?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack! :T

Screen size will depend upon the projector's specs/placement and your personal preferences. How tall is the ceiling? What color are the walls and ceiling? Do you plan on having all of the lights off when viewing or will there be some ambient light?

With regards to placement, I'd try to get the projector closer than 22'. The farther away you are - the farther the pj has to throw the image - the dimmer that image will be when it hits the screen. There is a standard for brightness and it is 12-16fL. For a 106" (the smallest you could go at that distance) 1.0 gain screen at 22', you are right at 12fL.

I would suggest attempting to get the projector closer to the screen - somewhere in the 15' range would be good. A 120" 1.0 gain screen with the pj at 15' would give you 15fL. That gives you a bit of headroom for when your bulb dims.

As for the cart, you can either do that or use a table. Another option would be to ceiling mount it and run your cabling through raceways that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes.

For a screen, we'll need the questions asked above answered before making recommendations. :T

Again, welcome to HTS! :wave:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

The ceiling is about 14'. It's a flat wall up to the 9' mark then angles in to meet the ceiling which is about 14'. It's a vaulted ceiling.

Wall color = light beige / like beach sand
Ceiling Color = white

Can I just get a screen that fits the wall and move the projector back to the ideal spot? 12' is the usable space. There's a window to the left, a balcony and stairs to the right. A 12' wide screen would fit perfect.

I don't know a thing here so whatever you recommend :)

Recap:
PJ = Epson 8350
Room Size 24'x24'
PJ will be at an angle
Walls are light sandy beige
Ceiling is white
Main wall is 9', then turns white as it angles towards the ceiling that goes up to about 14'.
Room Light is entirely controllable (Kinda) :)

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Given the colors of your walls and ceiling I would suggest a gray screen to help with contrast. And I definitely wouldn't go with a 12' wide screen! :yikes: That would be a 165" screen - 81" tall! I'd stick with a 120" screen, something like the Elite EzFrame Cinegrey from Visual Apex. With a mounting location of 12', you'll have more than enough lumens.

When you say you'll be mounting the pj at an angle, keep in mind that the lens must be perpendicular to the screen wall. And I'm unsure how much lens shift the 8350 has so I can't help you with the mounting location. I'd temporarily hang it and test it out on the wall first before permanently mounting it. Or you can put it on the paint tray of a step ladder to help figure this out if need be.

Here's the PJCentral calculator for your projector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much. That all sounds very spot-on....

One thing though. I keep reading that matte white is useful because of brightness and viewing angle getting absorbed by the gray. What's your take on that. I mean, I know you suggest gray but since the room is so big and brightness is always a factor, I figured I'd ask the reasoning behind the gray suggestion over white or matte white.

Thank you so very much,
RB

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank you very much. That all sounds very spot-on....

One thing though. I keep reading that matte white is useful because of brightness and viewing angle getting absorbed by the gray. What's your take on that. I mean, I know you suggest gray but since the room is so big and brightness is always a factor, I figured I'd ask the reasoning behind the gray suggestion over white or matte white.

Thank you so very much,
RB
If you had a room with black walls, ceiling and floor a white screen would work fine, the problem is most people don't have that. It takes VERY little "ambient" light impinging on the screen during viewing to make a visible change in image contrast. In a room such as yours the light colored walls themselves will reflect light back onto the screen so you will have an ambient light problem even with no other lights on during viewing and all windows covered.

The idea behind gray screens is that they will absorb a lot of that ambient light thus keeping more image contrast, but you need to have enough foot candles hitting the screen to compensate for the fact that the PJ image will be absorbed too.

With Mech's recommended 120" screen and 12' PJ mounting the calculator is showing 22 fL which is more than enough for a bright image. :T

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that makes sense!

One more for you! What about gain. Should I get something with a "gain booster"? I'm new so I don't know the terms. I see that 1.0, 1.1 and 1.5 are options. Any recommendation?

BTW: This is great! My PJ arrived and I'm leaving here in 15 minutes to go plug it in and FINALLY see Super Mario as a Giant! LOL

Just need the screen now! :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Wow, that makes sense!
Yep, it's not rocket science, but it is science. ;)

One more for you! What about gain. Should I get something with a "gain booster"? I'm new so I don't know the terms. I see that 1.0, 1.1 and 1.5 are options. Any recommendation?
Unfortunately gain is one of the most misunderstood attributes of a screen. Rather than go into a full-blown explanation I'll point you to a thread about it here.

Basically, a screen with a gain of 1.0 produces an image as bright as one projected on a "Reference" screen (a perfectly diffusive white screen, no gloss at all) when viewed on-axis with the PJ. The only way for a screen to have a higher gain (and that always means peak gain) is to introduce some gloss onto the screen. The problem is that while adding gloss will increase on-axis image brightness (gain) it will also decrease off-axis brightness at the same time. The amount of light that the PJ is hitting the screen with doesn't change, only the way that light is reflected changes. It's a case of "robbing Peter to pay Paul".

In my limited experience a white screen with a gain of 1.3 will appear about the same as a white screen with a gain of 1.0 (but just a tad brighter) without running much of a risk of people viewing off-axis getting a discernibly darker image. A white screen with a gain of 1.5 is getting too close to that point and I would recommend people see such a screen in action before spending money on one.

The same thing applies to gray screens only they start out having less gain than white screens just because they are gray. For a gray screen to have a gain of 1.0 it will have to be glossier than a white screen with a gain of 1.0. Most commercial gray screens similar to the Elite Cinegray are listed as having a gain of 1.0 or 1.1; these have proven to be good general purpose screens. If you see a gray screen with a gain much higher than that I would start being concerned about potential hot spotting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
so then the Elite R120H1 Projection Screen with a gain of 1.0 which mech originally suggested is then the ticket? Please confirm...

Thank you :)

BTW. I just setup my projector and aimed it at the wall and my first words were THAT'S INCREDIBLE! Wow this is great! And another BTW. I completely forgot about AUDIO. LOL I have to get an AV Receiver now! I wasn't expecting that one.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
so then the Elite R120H1 Projection Screen with a gain of 1.0 which mech originally suggested is then the ticket? Please confirm...
That's what I would go with if I was going to buy a commercial screen. Mech owns and uses a Cinegrey screen and really likes it!

Thank you :)
:T

BTW. I just setup my projector and aimed it at the wall and my first words were THAT'S INCREDIBLE! Wow this is great! And another BTW. I completely forgot about AUDIO. LOL I have to get an AV Receiver now! I wasn't expecting that one.
We've all been there! That huge image just blows your socks off doesn't it? But now you need big audio to go with that big picture. This is somehow eerily familiar... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will for sure! This is seriously and without a doubt the best forum on the internet for anything period! And I'm a 17 year web development, SEO and Search Engine Marketing professional from an IR 500 company! That's where I'm a guru and know what I'm talking about in that field. You guys or on top of your expertise, bar none!

Hey, another question....

After I hit my wall with the projector (without a screen) my better half keeps saying "You don't need a screen" and I keep saying "yeah I do" and she keeps saying "no you don't". She may be right! What about Screen Goo or painting the wall!

Now the only reason I'm asking is not because of what she's saying. It's because when I look at how much of the wall I'm using for the projector. I could actually paint that entire wall and it wouldn't even look odd because the screen (painted wall) would be tightly between the window and the small balcony.

Other than what you feel about Screen Goo and painting walls, my only concerns is the border. How would I border it without the border looking horrible. I was thinking maybe small posts in the wall, kinda like pegs that stick out that would allow me to add a grometed black velvet valance / border when I need it and then be able to take it down in seconds when I don't. It could be a 4 piece border.

There's got to be some sort of hole / peg wall insert in the world that could be installed. The weight would be very light.

What do you think?

I tried to upload a picture of it but I couldn't figure out how to without hosting it myself.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
One of the more imaginative ways of putting up a temporary screen frame is to install strips of thin steel into the wall then cover them with drywall mud or spackling (you're going to paint the wall anyway), then build your framing pieces out of some light material (even Styrofoam!) and glue magnets onto or into those. The finished trim stays in place via magnetic attraction!

A slightly more simple way is to just make a big picture frame that can be hung on the wall with a french cleat at each end of the top horizontal member. When the frame isn't wanted pictures or photos could be hung from the cleats instead of the frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts