Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building out my 11'x22' room with 8' ceiling height and need some advice. My plan for the screen wall is as follows;

1. I have a 55" LED TV that I have mounted that I still want to use. I will use the TV when watching TV shows etc.
2. I want to put a projector in the room as well and have a drop down screen (motorized) that will be used when watching movies and sports.

With this information what screen size should I use? I plan on building a screen wall and will like to finalize the screen size for the contractor. I would really like to keep the TV there although I would have loved to just build the screen in and not do motorized screen but can't have it all right!?

Also if there are recommendation for a motorized projector screen please let me know.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
How far back do you plan to sit for the screen? Have you checked out Projector central screen calculator?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first row seats are 10' from the screen and the next row will be at 3-4 feet from there. But I can adjust this a little if I need to. I'll check the screen calculator page too. I did check it out before but truthfully I was a little overwhelm with it especially since I'm still trying to decide how far to go with the room. There's a lot to read and learn but it's been exciting!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a cool site BTW. I was thinking of another calculator page I went to that almost put me to sleep. LOL I still don't understand all of the settings though so I guess I'll read up on those as well. With my wall being 11' wide I just want to get an idea of what I'm looking at with screen size.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think with your seating distance, a 96" - 100" screen would be ideal.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think with your seating distance, a 96" - 100" screen would be ideal.
That sounds about right to me too. I still need space for the speakers. Currently the speakers are a foot from the side walls so that gives me room with a foot left.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, you dont want to push the speaker into the corners, as that causes issues with reflection.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Its tight but acceptable if you toe in the speakers just a little.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Maybe not the best thread to mention this in, but which row will your main listening seat be in?

If it is in the 1st row, you may run into room mode issues - when I was planning my seating, Bryan from GIK pointed out that the 40% - 60% area of the room is the area that can experience nulls / boominess. He can definitely provide more info on it, but it is something to consider........

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm that's interesting reading. There's always something huh! Well I think I'm still going to stick with the screen size we discussed and move my speakers in a little bit more with toe in. That screen size is not that large and think it would be good for the second row seats. I"ll stick with 96" I suppose.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Probably a stupid question but do you measure the seating area? Is it from the wall to where your head would be? If then my seating area is at 11' instead of 10. The front of the chair is at 10 and the dead area at 11 and the back of the seat at 12'.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts