Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Projector wall paint

10318 Views 15 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dangarang
Recently purchased a Optoma HD31UST, my next move is to paint the wall. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and purchased some paint based on my internet searches but couldn’t remember which was the correct type in the store so I bought a choice of two and thought I’d find the information again on the internet when I got home but can’t find it now.

I have a tin of dulux trade diamond satinwood and dulux trade diamond eggshell. Now I’m home I don’t think either is correct and maybe the Matt finish would be better.

I’m in the UK and I’m open to suggestions of other paints as long as they are white.

Thanks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Here is what you are looking for, with a screen paint to match your requirements:

Why would anybody use a paint? If you spend the money for projector spend the money for a screen! Much better picture than any paint!
A StudioTek 130 screen would cost me $5000.00.
We will have a screen every bit as good, with a total cost of less than one tenth that.
A new thread will be posted here, after we finish painting.

in the meantime, read this: Off The Shelf Screen Paint
A painted wall will no way compared to a decent screen. There alot lot of inexpensive screens out there for a few hundred dollars that will work way better than a painted wall.I have an older Stuart screen fire hawk and love it and I did not pay even close to that amount.
Thanks for your opinion, picture quality isn’t my no.1 priority, but I would like to have the best painted wall setup that I can achieve for my budget. My wife and I would prefer not to have a screen in our living room if possible.
Reactions: 1
Thanks for your opinion, picture quality isn’t my no.1 priority, but I would like to have the best painted wall setup that I can achieve for my budget. My wife and I would prefer not to have a screen in our living room if possible.
You really can have a painted wall that will rival even the most expensive manufactured screens. But, you want your wall (or screen area) to be flat, with zero texture.
Here is a link to Projector Central, and their experiment with a "$100 Screen".

And a link to my thread on another forum, discussing paint sheen/finish:

Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done...because it can.
And check out this thread, where I put up some cardboard (flat white poster board) on my screen. Took some photos.
And here is the info from PC on painting:
What kind of paint do you use for a projector screen and what color paint should I use for a projector screen?:unsure:
What kind of paint do you use for a projector screen and what color paint should I use for a projector screen?:unsure:
I used Sherwin William's Unique Gray Emerald Flat. It is supposed to be a perfectly neutral gray. It is a light gray, went on dead flat, and has no hot spots. I'm very happy with it. Also, when the projector is off it seems to pick up the colors in the room, so it doesn't interfere much with whatever you might be trying to do design wise. I did skim coat the drywall, which I think goes a long way to providing a good finish.
Build upon how many lumens your projector produces, you may want to capture a paint that's closer to gray than white. A wide rule of thumb is that you should go gray if your projector's specs say it produces more than 3,500
For the best picture possible, accentuate your painted surface with a black border it’ll enhance the contrast you see in your projector’s picture. Grab the best interior paints enough to cover the entire projection wall. you’ll save the time and your projection screen will just look like a lovely wall.
Personally I am not a fan of a black border. The borders do look nice when it matches the aspect ratio of what you are watching, but since moves have so many different aspect ratios, no single border will frame every film unless you use movable blocking. I just painted the entire wall the same gray color, and once the movie is on, you really don't notice. With the 3400 lumens you get from your projector, the contrast between the image and the wall should be plenty sharp.
I am thinking of the same, painting the wall.. but yeah if that doesn't give better result can opt for screens, what are some you suggest?
I had an accident. The neighbor flooded my apartment, and I was very upset, because I had recently made repairs. And began a long search for a service that will help me paint the walls. Constantly stumbled on the refusal that I have a long drive and a lot of work. But found this super service: PS Painting Service Singapore | Professional Painting Service in Singapore These guys did everything qualitatively and quickly. So I want and can recommend this service. I personally liked everything and even got a discount. I wish all of you good neighbors!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.