Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
People do it all the time. If you can get a tap off of your HVAC return in the soffit in the rear, you'll have all the dissipation you need.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Hi Simon

The only problem is that the attic itself is a hot place during the summer. Only way I'd do that is if I had some sort of trap vent that only allowed one way air flow and a fan to draw air through whenever operating.

Where is your HVAC in your room? Any chance you could just draw air in one end of the soffit and exhaust it out the other end into the room?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bryan,

Hmm good point!

Any chance you could just draw air in one end of the soffit and exhaust it out the other end into the room?
If I had an inlet at one end of the rear soffit with pipe connected up to the inlet of the projector and vice versa for the outlet, do you think the fan inside the projector would be enough to push/pull the air?

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I dunno - kinda doubting it. I'd want at least a small quiet PC fan close to one end pulling air through.

Bryan

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with Bryan, the fans in projectors are designed to flow air while the projector is in an open location, it would not be adequate to move air in a confined area. Read the specification and the placement recommendations they will tell you to be sure the unit has adequate ventilation.

Depending on the location, many new projectors have zoom and lens shift if it were me I would avoid placing it in an enclosed space if at all possible. If not them be sure you can get adequate ventilation (air volume) to it or you may have problems, if not certainly the fan in the unit would run at high speed and db, thus shortening the life of the projector and lamp.

Also remember that you have to have air flow around the projector not just a supply of cool air, it has to exit some where. I almost placed my projector in a soffit and ran the air duct around it placing the projector inside the duct for ventilation but it was going to be too much work to get it to work correctly so initially I decided to mount the projector the ceiling instead, and it worked out great.

Do you have a projector yet, if not what projector are you planning on getting and you can then determine what your options are.

I recently moved my projector Panasonic AX-200 into the wall/rack area because I moved my screen wall. Its all open around the projector so so far I have had no issues with ventilation.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Carl,

In another thread I started I think Bryan suggested maybe framing the rear soffit and covering with fabric.
Hopefully this situation would give the illusion that the projector is closed in but still give the benefits of it being in an open area.

At the moment I have a Panasonic PT-AE1000.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You can do a couple of different things. You can buy a fan that will work on a dimmer at Radio Shack. You can also do a computer fan running either 5v or 12v and get a transformer wired to a plain light switch.

Bryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could mount a line voltage stat in the soffit. Hook it up to a fan, and duct it out of the soffit area. Completely automatic, set it and forget about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts