Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using an older Harman Kardon AVR20ii that is almost 20 years old now that my dad bought. I don't have the budget now to get a new receiver yet even though it's cheap, but I just have a few questions. I have 3.0 hooked up to the receiver and since it's analog, my only option is Prologic.

My question is, how much sound information am I losing from playing ps3 games or watching blurays running in Prologic? It seems like TOO much information is being sent to the center. Seems like 90% dialogue, music, whatever is being sent to the center channel and only 10% to the L/R, which are pretty quiet in comparison. Should I just run in stereo mode? I am asking because both options have benefits, when I run in Prologic, dialogue is clearer through my center, but the music and action sequences can't go that low on my center due to 4.5" woofers, whereas my L/R are 6.5" woofers but dialogue is more boomy in stereo.

There is no menu that I can adjust, it's just volume and tone control knobs.

Another question is how does Prologic work in a nutshell without me looking through pages of forum and articles on it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
With 3 speakers only, you should look for the Dolby3 mode which was a mandated feature by Dolby back in the DPL ages. DPL assumes you have 5 speakers hooked up, so your surrounds are completely missing right now, with Dolby 3 the surrounds are matrix ed into the the LR mains.

Dolby Pro Logic is the name of the decoding of "Dolby Surround" encoded material

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Surround

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks. I think I got it. I popped in Dark Knight on bluray and the music and action sequence explosions are in effect on the L/R and dialogue in center. Though, one last question. It will only work if the source is mastered in Dolby Digital? Meaning if I'm just listening to mp3s and I click it on Dolby3, most of the audio will be in the center?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dolby3 should send information to all 3 front speakers. I find all of the prologic modes to be heavy in the center speaker.If the reciever has any "widescreen" settings you might try that.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Pro Logic is sent through analog outputs only, if your able to use a digital connection you should be able to get a Dolby digital signal but with only 3 channels in use it will seem very heavy in the centre channel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As an owner of an AVR25ii I know there are no digital inputs. That technology did not exist (in the consumer realm anyhow) in 1992-94 when this receiver was made. Having said that I would set the receiver to Dolby 3 Stereo mode (unless you have 5 speakers (then set to Dolby Pro Logic). See attached manual for more detail.

One reason that your center may sounds so much louder is it may be more sensitive than the mains (L&R). unfortunately there are no level adjustments for the centers or surrounds on this era of receiver. I would not that you should hold onto it even if you replace the receiver. I have a newer H/K and use my AVR25ii to drive the mains. It is much more powerful than the newer unit.

Best of luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ agreed. The amp is rated at only 50w per channel, but the power being sent to the L/R are just downright humiliating the newer Onkyos, and H/Ks that I tried. I guess I should save up and get a receiver, they are not that expensive nowadays anymore.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Of note receivers that would work start around $400-500. You will need a receiver that has a full set of pre-outs (not just a sub or second zone). Noted are the Yamaha RX-V667

See a good comparison of $500 units on the Audioholics website here

Onkyo gets you in the door at $500 for either the HT-RC270 or the TXNR708, the latter is a better choice due to THX and better network capability.

On the H/K side you have to step up to the AVR3600 for full pre-outs - at about $700.

Marantz SR6004 or SR5005 around $700 to $750 respectfully

Denon AVR-3311CI (Holy $hlt $1,100 - not sure what Denon was thinking only offering full pre-outs on their $1K plus line) It is a sweet receiver though!

Pioneer's VSX 1120-K will do it for $500 too!

Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts