Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I keep seeing Wayne's name and wonder how he pronounces it, and I am sure some wonder about mine...so if you have a less than simple name, maybe others would wonder about how you pronounce it and where it comes from.

Mine is Caillouet, which we pronounce KAL-YOU-WET. My geneology is mostly French-Acadian (15/16) and it likely started out as Caillouette back in France and got the extra "te" dropped at some point while the pronunciation stayed the same. My ancestors were the Acadians (later Cajuns) who got kicked out of Nova Scotia in the late 18th century and ended up in Louisiana.

So Wayne...how do you pronounce your name and where does it come from? I can make a pretty good guess, but I'll let you tell us.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL! When I was a teacher many of the kids just called me Mr. C. Of course, I was also called lots of other things...

·
Registered
29 Posts
My last name is Sgambelluri, pronounced SCAM-BA-LURY. Over the years I have seen alot of different spellings, Sc, Sk, Sqa, Sj. Where these people get them from I dont know. The best has to be my old insurance company -my file was in a different place every time I went in. That is all...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
OK, I keep seeing Wayne's name and wonder how he pronounces it, and I am sure some wonder about mine...so if you have a less than simple name, maybe others would wonder about how you pronounce it and where it comes from.

Mine is Caillouet, which we pronounce KAL-YOU-WET.
Why does that make me uncomfortable? :unbelievable:

Kal

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll remember that next time we disagree...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometime people have trouble prnouncing my second name. Even more problems spelling it. It's Mckeown by the way. pronounced MIC-KIO-ONNE

Just thought you might like to know.

BTM: I'm from Northern Ireland in the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts