Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after much consensus I will not longer be using my car audio subwoofers although it seemed like a good idea. I have instead moved over to the Mach 5 audio IXL 18.2.2 Which are sold out right now, but gives me plenty of time to build a box. So now my attention is there box design. So far my wife has blessed off on a box that is right around these measurements 26"W 18"H 36L" and those are inside parameters which puts me right around 7.5 cuft I was going to use 3 3" ports but read on the LLT post 8" is primo for 18" woofers with this application I am going to make it floor firing and there is only essentially a 10" port would two then be recommended or curving it around one the back wall? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike I am looking at a EUROPOWER EP4000 but have been told that given the small size of the ported box it would be tuned to high. So I have debated stepping down to the IXL 15.2.2 with the same amp. So now I geuss the question becomes with the 3" ports but takes a step down to the 6" port or ports instead of the 8" sonotube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the amp i looked at it this way the 4000 is 349 and the ep 2500 is 329 at zz sound so the extra headroom will be nice is decide to upgrade later. as far as passive radiators this is very new to me (so I have no idea how to implement that) I was into car audio alot and thats how this entire project got started looked at transforming my Rockford Fosgate T115D4's into home subs but found out a better solution would be better drivers and the EP amp. The max specs I can have for interior demensions is 36Lx30Wx18H with 1" mdf. I plan on having it floor firing due to a retarded dog that isnt very coordinated to it protets the sub. I want to put a piece of the mdf under neath to help with reflecting the sound. I am having a hard time coming up with all the measurements for the box to include bracing ports etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a ton of variables thank goodness the wife has blessed off on a 1500$ budget. I like the idea of venting it vs. porting it easier wood working and this being my first DIY that may a road to turn down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after debating a looking at some different things IMO given the budget i have been blessed with, the amount of space I have been allotted, and what I am trying to achieve I think this will be a average setup. 1 EP4000 amp 2 IXL 15.2.2 one in a ported box with the following measurements 32W 18H 36D with a port size of 28W 3H 14L which gives the box roughly 8.8 cu^ft of space which seems decent for a 15" woofer when the recommended ported box size for it is 3.5 cu^ft so I should be able to hit the lows on this. As for the second woofer I am going to do a sealed box with 2.8 cu^ft which is just slightly above the manufactors recommended size so that should give me so good low bass and some good mid bass. I still need to run it through winisd to see what I come up with but I think this should be a pretty good design. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I'll do some comparison modeling as soon as I get off work. Whatever you end up deciding on, you'll need a high pass filter to protect the subs from over excursion at the lower frequencies. Reckhorn B1 from Creative Sound Solutions is about $100. It also has the ability to boost the input voltage if that's an issue with your receiver.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Your box size of 32W 18H 36D is IXL-18 territory. Here's the SPL graph to show you the difference. All three models are with 1000 watts input.

Green - IXL-18 in 8.4 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. HPF at 14 hz. A slot port 3 x 14 x 36". Maximum port air speed is 25.5 m/s.

Pink - IXL-15 in 6 cu.ft tuned to 18 hz. HPF at 16 hz. A slot port 3 x 12 x 44.75. Maximum port air speed is 23.5 m/s.

Yellow - IXL-15 in 2.8 cu.ft. sealed. HPF at 15 hz.

With the IXL-18, the added displacement of the sub, port and bracing would equal your 32W 18H 36D box size. The IXL-15 total internal volume would be 7.7 cu.ft. so your box would be smaller. Any bigger and you give up power handling and SPL.

IXL18 SPL.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mike ive come to the conclusion of doing the 15 sealed what problems arise when running a 15 and an 18 in different boxes with the ixl?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I have no experience with sealed and ported together in the same room. All my 7 subs are ported. I heard people say not to mix them and I've read that the ported handles the low end nicely and the sealed provides a nice mid bass punch. The end result is going to be how the subs interact with the room. Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all common sense practices it make sense low and mid bass. But again its how the room handles it which for the extra 200 bucks if it doesnt it doesnt. Gives me the option to expand at a later date. I think the combo of the 15 and 18 will be nice. Different gain on the amp for each channel. The only thing that worries me is that dang high pass filter. Like you mentioned the Reckhorn B1 increases the voltage if need be but doesnt have seperate channel functions. So we will see. I've got the subs set the amp set and the box now just to make a decision on this. Yippie!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts