Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

361 - 380 of 417 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Indeed it's worth it if you want to have a backup of your BDs in the nmt. I have both PS3 and PCH A110. I am under the impression the PQ of the PS3 is supperior to the PCH. That just may be an impression. Can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I use the NMT streaming from networked drives and haven't done a sidexside with blu-ray, but I have compared a DVD image vs the original disc on the popcorn hour vs. an Oppo 981. Not really a fair fight, but the Oppo did have superior pic quality, just not enough to outweigh the convenience of the Popcorn Hour. The Oppo now lives with my dad.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
@wbassett - are you able to stream BD and HDDVD rips to the PS3? I'd be really surprised. The file size restriction is why I don't consider using the PS3 as a media server.
HD content streams fine and lots of people are doing it even on 100baseT networks. If you are streaming multiple things at a time to various TVs then there could be a problem. If you are using wireless... then a definitely no to HD content.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Can't PM until you have at least 5 posts.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
I definitely would be interested in that seeing I will be adding to the PS3 to have streaming devices in every room in the house that has a TV.

The PS3 is a great option and one of the purposes of this thread is to utilize it to do everything it can. If someone was going to buy a device just for streaming, the PS3 is too expesive just for that and there are less expensive options out there... like the Playon for instance.

I still can't PM you yet, but you can go to my profile and then under contact information you can send me an email.

I definitely look forward to testing a unit out and putting it through it's paces.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Playon series certainly does provide a streaming alternative to the PS3.

My eyesight is not what it used to be - in your contact info, you only have an AIM Instant Messenger, not email...this correct?

·
Registered
10 Posts
By the way, would you prefer to test the Playon!HD or just the Playon!HD Mini?
The Mini is more of a streamer without the internal storage...and of course a lower price than the Playon!HD

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
The Playon series certainly does provide a streaming alternative to the PS3.

My eyesight is not what it used to be - in your contact info, you only have an AIM Instant Messenger, not email...this correct?
you can select send a message via email to wbassett.

I'll have to check with Sonnie as to why your PM function isn't showing up. I thought it became active after 5 posts and that it is setup that way to prevent someone from joining and spamming everyone and then never coming back. In any advent if there isn't a clickable link to send me an email let me know and we'll get this resolved so we can talk offline about the details of getting a unit for review. I would love to check it out and I promise to he honest and fair. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
PM sent

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive read some posts on here bout converting you DVD so that you can save on an external HD to play throught your PS3, but have relized that a lot of the posts are from years ago. I was wanting a tutorial on how to do this for all the new updates that has occured. Could someone please help me out Im very ancious to try this out so that I can get back away all my old DVDs. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I still use the exact same method originally explained. The only change, which was mentioned is that it is no longer necessary to rename to '.mpeg' You can simply rename rename the file within Windows Explorer and keep the .vob extention. Again I am certain this was mentioned but I will check and also look at updating the tutorial as well.

In fact I am using this method right now to do the TV series StarGate and I just finished Dr Quinn for my wife.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the update. The only thing is Im not real computer smart and am having trouble saving everything the right way so that I can find it all to be able to save on an external HD. I think I have it right tho, but still a little unsure about it all I will try again tonight and see if I can get a movie or two saved to the external HD. Thanks again

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wbassett, Ive tried to do your tutorial again last night everythig seemed to work but when I but it on the PS3 nothing came up it was like the PS3 didnt ever reconize that I had anything hooked up to it. I really wish this thing would work cause I have around 300 + movies I want to back up but seem to have some trouble doing so could you please help thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
First make sure the external drive is formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS. The PS3 will only recognize FAT32. This is the biggest negative con about the PS3. Everyone has complained about the restrictions of FAT32 but Sony will never add NTFS support to the PS3 so it is a serious limitation on their part and judgement. However... once you start streaming over a network and not from USB attached hard drives the 4GB limitation no longer exists. Again though make sure your USB drive is FAT32.

If it is formatted in FAT32, make sure your files are in /VIDEO.

If you have done both of those, the PS3 should see the drive and movies. If it doesn't, try another USB port on the PS3. After that if it still doesn't work, swap USB cables. If it still doesn't work, there is something else wrong that is beyond what I can assist without seeing things in person.

361 - 380 of 417 Posts